Monday, March 11, 2013

on my own

My last couple of long runs have been solo - something that doesn't happen all that often. What I noticed was that the toughest part of these solo long runs has been the first half hour. The first half hour of a long run is tough regardless - my body isn't ready to run yet and my mind is usually going a mile a minute thinking "if you feel this crappy NOW, how are you going to make it?!?" When I'm running with friends, my body is still rebelling, but at least I'm chatting or listening to stories - so I can ignore that little voice in the back of my mind.
no, i wasn't miserable...but the title is my favourite song :)
Since the first half of my run yesterday was pretty much all uphill, I definitely struggled that first half hour. But once that part was over - I really had a great run. It was warm, I was running in the park with so many other people enjoying their Sunday, and even though my legs were feeling the "mountain run" by the end, I felt pretty good as I sat down for my solo post-run coffee. Even though I love running with my friends, sometimes it's good to spend some me-time out there.

What is the hardest part of running alone for you? Or do you find it harder to run with people?



7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I think the hardest part about running alone is that it is very easy to slow down, or just turn around a quit for the day. I run 90% of the time by myself so I am a bit used to it, but that inner voice gets to me sometimes.

I find that I run a bit faster when with people - but sometimes too fast.

Leigh said...

I ran alone on the weekend as well and found the last 5k so hard for me. I just wanted to give up so badly!

~Nathalie~ said...

I always exclusively run alone and I actually find it difficult to run with others. Not that I don't enjoy their company - after all, we are free to choose compatible run partners, but rather because my runs are blessed solitude time...most especially the long runs.
That is when I do a lot of mental race rehearsal and it is what works for me.
However, I love to meet up with friends for a post-run coffee/brunch and share in our successes or struggles...because as runners, we get it.

joggingjeans said...

I agree with you about the first half hour being the roughest part of alone-runs. The second hardest part is after an hour - then boredom sets in.

Bex said...

I don't run with people often but I find I am challenged more running with other runners then if I run alone. I don't push myself hard enough to go a little further or a little faster.

Caroline said...

alone...means slower and also more difficult mentally...I have to talk myself into sticking to the plan and not turn around early...

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

I find the first quarter to half of the run pretty tough. I'm still trying to warm up and wrap my head around whatever distance or speed I am doing. Usually by the half way mark I feel a bit better.

In a half marathon the last 3K are tough for me. I don't want to slow down but my body is begging me to quit. I hope this doesn't happen this weekend!