Wednesday, February 06, 2013

a good run

I struggled a bit to get out the door yesterday for my run. It is winter - so going from the warm apartment to the cold street is always a challenge. Plus there are so many layers to put on and so many things to find (mittens! hat! ear band! watch! key!). Even after I left, the first 5 minutes or so of my run felt hard (Sunday's long run was really hilly - so my legs still felt really heavy) and I didn't really feel like being out there and even thought "do I really want to train for this half marathon? can't I just phone it in?"

And then something happened. As I kept running (and as I seemed to hit green light after green light), my legs seemed to get lighter, and so did my entire body. And without really trying, I maintained a reasonable pace and I had a lightness in my step that I didn't expect.* Early in training programs, I usually expect to struggle a bit - especially when training for a spring race. So it was really nice to have a run that felt like it clicked a bit - even if it was hard to get started.

I know that the fact that it was -10 (I know that sound cold...but when it has been much colder, it feels downright warm), there was no wind, and the sidewalks were clear (hooray for no ice or snow!) had a lot to do with things going well. But I'll take those small victories where I can get them.

What helps you when you're struggling to get out the door?

*something else unexpected: several people encouraging me as I ran...

5 comments:

Michelle said...

What gets me out of the door? Cabin fever! Being at home with my little one means getting outside means seeing other people that can speak! Sentences!

Michelle said...

What gets me out of the door? Cabin fever! Being at home with my little one means getting outside means seeing other people that can speak! Sentences!

Randy said...

A running buddy always helps. Whether it's a co-worker, someone from the running club or even the dogs when someone or something is expecting me to be there, I have more motivation.

~Nathalie~ said...

My go-to question is always: "how do you want to feel when you get to the start line?"
Being the typical type A, I know my mind will be at ease on the start line if the only sessions I missed were due to something out of my control or illness.

Caroline said...

alone time....and knowing I will feel better after I am done.