Thursday, January 10, 2013

musings about running

If it sticks, starting to run is a lot like falling in love. When you're falling in love, things are shiny and new and you think about that person all the time. And because you're thinking about him or her all the time, you talk about that person all the time. Literally...ALL.THE.TIME. Some shout it from the roof tops, some are annoying on Facebook (and FB couples can be the worst), some wax poetic in 140 characters or less. Your friends get sick of you - not because they don't like you, but because they aren't nearly as interested in hearing about that other person as you are about talking about him or her.

Running is the same. When I started and when I was "falling" for running, I did the same thing. It was shiny and new. I spent a lot of time thinking about it and learning about it. I checked websites, read blogs, researched training plans and talked about it. All. The. Time. Seriously all the time. I bet some people saw me coming, took a deep breath, and thought "ok...time for more talk about a sport I don't care about." I'm sorry if you were one of those people...

Anyway, now I don't talk about it as much. Maybe because now, it is just a part of my life that's always there. It makes me feel good, I can think about it and smile both nostalgically and toward the future, and I try not to take advantage of the fact that it will always be there (because you never know what the future will bring). But if you ask me about it and seem to actually want to hear about it - I still might talk your ear off.*

*which happened to a lady when she asked me about my shoes the other day...
I was stopped at a light and she asked me if the shoes I was running in regular running shoes or if they were special for the winter...I was running in my regular shoes, but then I talked about how great a pair of trail shoes can be and then without provocation, went into a few winter gear tips such as good socks and making sure the layer touching your body isn't cotton...especially your underwear because sweaty cotton underwear plus a cold wind is a bad bad thing. Man...that poor lady. She didn't know what hit her.

3 comments:

abbi said...

You definitely covered me in this post. I have been all running all the time for quite awhile but we've been drifting apart slightly...until someone wants to listen!

Alexander Gaidis said...

I loved your link to the facebook couples, it made me laugh out loud!

kristen said...

abbi - i think it tends to be a natural progression...but I could be wrong :)

Alexander - BuzzFeed is great for that. I laugh out loud daily thanks to them. :)