Wednesday, January 16, 2013

buzzwords and cancer

Lance Armstrong. Livestrong. Doping. Oprah. Confession. Cancer. (and if you are a reader of blogs - Old Navy!) There, have I got enough of this week's buzzwords in? I'm sick of the Armstrong business already and the interview hasn't even come out yet.

In all seriousness though - even though I do not (and will not - because I feel like not enough of the money goes to do good things and too much goes to running the machine that is Livestrong) donate to Livestrong, I really do hope that this latest Armstrong fiasco doesn't drive people away from cancer charities. Cancer sucks. It takes kids from their parents, sisters from their siblings, parents, aunts, grandfathers... It throws people's lives into turmoil. Even those who come out the other end do not come out unscathed.

I wish I was a better writer so that I could eloquently write about how important I think it is to try to advance cancer research and to support those dealing with cancer. So instead, I'll just say: forget Lance, forget the hype, find a local cancer foundation or charity or hospice that you know does good things and donate every so often.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I had the thought - as I often do, that I wish you were in town so we could sit down with some drinks and snacks and chat about this - maybe you'd have been too tired of it all, but I've been wondering what your perspective would be.

I guess I'm not a reader of blogs - no idea about old navy.

d.