Thursday, August 09, 2012

running in kilometres - it is working

As I said a couple of weeks ago, to make the training paces less intimidating in this 10K training cycle, I've switched to running in minutes per kilometre instead of minutes per mile. Since I've never thought about pace in kilometres before it seemed like it was worth a try.

Two speed sessions into the training program? So far the verdict is that it is working. My tempo run last week was very successful (I actually ran too fast) and my 800s this morning went fairly well. Don't get me wrong - the 800s were really hard. My legs were hurting, I has audibly breathing, and I was really glad when they were over...but seeing "800s in 3:47" meant nothing to me when I looked at it on the training schedule. I plugged it into the pace calculator so that I knew what it was per kilometre, and again, 4:43 per kilometre also meant nothing to me. So I went out and ran. It was hard, it was uncomfortable, I was very sweaty, but I did it.

Hopefully this tricking myself keeps on working...

3 comments:

Jessica said...

That's a great idea, I might have to try that for my upcoming 10k!

Anonymous said...

It's funny how we can 'trick' ourselves when running. I find that when I look at my garmin too much, or watch my HR etc, I have a lousy run. I get too caught up in the stats. I've learned to let it go, and just run. I'll look at the numbers when I get home!

Marlene said...

Ah yes, sometimes ignorance is bliss!