Tuesday, July 24, 2012

something new: a free bootcamp

I haven't been doing a very good job with strength training. When I lived in Ottawa, I did group strength training classes 2 or 3 times a week - very consistently. It was awesome to watch my progress as I started with the lightest weights and worked my way through to heavy ones. Since moving to Montreal almost 2 years ago, I haven't been consistent with my strength training. I've done some TRX here and there and have done some body weight training - but nothing consistent and nothing in a group. When I saw an announcement for a free bootcamp put on by lululemon, I decided to check it out.

Pre-boot camp: Bright and early (ok, not that early, but it started at 9) Saturday morning I grabbed my water bottle, ran to the park, and managed to find where the boot camp was taking place (it is a decently sized park and all the announcement said was 'in the park'). I had to sign a waiver promising not to sue lululemon if I dropped dead...but they make people do that for yoga classes too so I tried not to assume the trainer would try to kill us.

The workout: There was a decent sized group and we were lead through a warm-up that included squats, pushups, and sit-ups. Just when I thought the warm-up was over and we were going to go play with the fun equipment (like ropes and the sled that you pull...) it was time for more warm-up: a suicide drill with burpees that increased in number at each line. Then we were TRULY warmed up and were able to do the circuit - 11 stations that worked almost all muscle groups. I can't remember if we did 3 or 4 rounds of the circuit...but it was hard work and fun too.
trying my best to pull myself up on those rings
We finished off with abs. Half a card deck of each suit being an abdominal exercise and we had to do the number listed on the card (4 of diamonds = 4 russian twists. King of spades = 11 crunches). I finished feeling tired but satisfied I got a great workout. And then I had to run home. I have to say -  the first 400 meters or so of the run home made me wonder if I'd have to walk home, but once my muscles calmed down a bit, it turned out to be a nice cool-down.

The aftermath: By the evening, my legs already felt tired going up and down stairs. Sunday I woke up with sore muscles (especially my arms - oh my weak arms) that just got more sore throughout the day (despite my run in the morning). I thought my abs had be spared, but was hit by the "DOMS" (delayed onset muscle soreness) on Monday. I'm still a little sore but the soreness is a good reminder that I need to do this more often!

My first free bootcamp: successful! I'll hopefully be back this Saturday morning and whenever else they offer it. Hopefully I can find some other good (and either free or cheap) strength options going forward. No more slacking with the strength training!

4 comments:

Kara said...

I used to be so good about strength training when I taught aerobics and was at the gym all the time. I haven't had a gym membership in 4 years and it's hard to force yourself to lift weights at home! I'd rather just run :)

Rebecca said...

Looks intense - but fun!

Not going to lie - kinda looking forward to putting Max into daycare in September so that maybe I can get a group exercise in from time to time

Laura said...

Fun! I am doing my strength training solo right now ...boring...

Marlene said...

Oh man, I hate strength work. I need something like this! Free? Bonus!