Tuesday, July 31, 2012

making the switch - to kilometres

I've mentioned before that I run in miles and that the reason for that was sort of to trick myself. When I started running I had no idea how long a mile was and really had no reference point for a mile. Three miles felt easier than 5 kilometres and I happily trained in miles. So when I got a Garmin a few years ago, I put it on the miles setting and have happily paced in miles too. But I'm thinking of making the switch - again, as a way to trick myself.

I'm trying to get a bit faster (although a humid summer does not really seem like the best time...but we'll just ignore that part), so I need to be paying attention to my pace and running fairly uncomfortably. Since a lot of what goes into running and training is mental and it is often my mental game that lets me down when I run, I'm trying to think of ways to play tricks on myself. I think that switching my pacing to kilometres might be a way of helping me out. When I look at speed workouts with paces in kilometres, I don't really know how fast it is. I can't get nervous and think "there's no way I can run that fast" because I have no idea what it really means. I am currently looking at a training plan all in kilometres and thinking "hey, that doesn't look so bad" but then when I look at the final finish time for the race, I know it is going to be hard.
Speed of Light

I know that running in kilometres alone will not make me faster - I know it is mostly going to take hard work, but I'm hoping that making the switch to pacing in minutes per kilometre might trick my brain just enough to make it feel a little more achievable.

Do you think it will work?

7 comments:

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

Interesting theory! It might work! I am pretty good at training in both kilometres and miles right now and can convert easily and quickly between them. I started training in miles because of all the US blogs I read!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Since so much of this whole game is mental - I think it might work! You can push yourself without thinking, "crap, I can't do this!"
Try it out and let us know!

Anonymous said...

I've been training in miles for some time now and actually I think exactly the opposite. If I convert back I am surprised how fast the pace is. I think the distance of an actual race, rather than the pace, will get you mentally. Running 13.1 is easy for me - 21.1 really gets to my brain.
Come back to the Imperial dark side ;)

@BillKingston

Laura said...

I was raised on metric so am sticking to it.
KMs go by faster...which on a tough workout is what I need.

Kara said...

Lying to yourself is key in running. I approve. :)

Heather said...

Finally! Welcome to Canada!

Rebecca said...

lol@Heather

I like the shorter KM's, but there are less numbers on a mile half or full marathon :-)