Friday, April 20, 2012

superstitious

Both times we've gone to Boston for Jordan to run the marathon, we've gone to check out the finish line the day before the race. They close that section of Boylston for the set up and to keep that painted finish line on the asphalt instead of on the bottom of car tires (walking by the finish line the day after the race, the blue paint is all but gone). Both times, Jordan has said he won't cross the finish line going in the direction he'll be running on race day. I'm not superstitious - but this one I sort of understand.
not nearly as hot or tired as the next time he was at this line
That got me thinking about my own race superstitions...and how I'm pretty sure I don't have any. Maybe I haven't run enough races to develop something I must do or something I cannot do. Does not wearing the race shirt before finishing count? Though I really don't think it does because in the majority of cases - I never wear the shirt because it is either ugly or doesn't fit.
perfectly stencilled in the direction that makes for good finish line pics
So I'm curious about whether other people have race superstitions. Are there certain things you need to do or not do? Special socks? A certain hair elastic? What are your race superstitions?

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hmmm, I don't think so? I don't wear my race shirt until after either. Sometimes I use it as my "after shirt" as the shirt I'm racing in usually gets gross and I want to change soon after (especially when I do a downtown race and it takes awhile to get home). You have reminded me that I should probably do my spring cleaning and clear out some of my race shirts that are ugly. The only ones that I have worn outside the house (and outside of pregnancy haha) are the Army Run shirts.

I do make sure my shoes are tied about 3x before the race. Does that count?

runforwine.net said...

I didn't think I had superstitions either, but now that you mention it I wouldn't wear the shirt before or at the race either. Even if it were cute. And ESPECIALLY if it said "finisher" on it.

Kara said...

I don't have a "lucky" thing to wear for racing, but if I have a bad race, it's like that outfit is dead to me for future races. I admit that I blame the socks, even if I know it's not their fault :)