Tuesday, April 10, 2012

don't get me started

Maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm mourning the fact that the NHL playoffs are starting without my team in them AGAIN, or maybe I'm just feeling a little surly...but for some reason I'm just feeling like I need to get these random things out. And since one of my favourite podcasts of late (Stop Podcasting Yourself - funny show) used to have a section called 'don't get me started' wherein they went off on their peeves of the day, I figured why not! So if you don't want to read about what grinds my gears, come back tomorrow and I'll be back to my shiny happy self.

First thing that you shouldn't get me started on: people who brag about not using the snooze button. The only reason I wish I wasn't so good at pushing the snooze button is that I kind of feel bad for Jordan having to listen to my gradual wakeup routine. But here's the thing - I plan for the snoozes. I set my alarm well before I need to get up because I'm one who needs a bit of a slow start in the morning. This is not a personality flaw -  it is just a fact. Just like not using the snooze button is a fact. It isn't something to be braggy about. It would be like bragging about having brown hair - it's just weird.

Second thing you shouldn't get me started on: tanning beds. Well - sort of. The other day I saw someone tweet about how they were fitting in their healthy habit and showing their proof of it. That's great - if you need to help keep yourself accountable by tweeting it and you are part of a "movement" that likes to influence healthy living, that's great. I think we all need to be healthy and if you're helping others by setting an example that is wonderful. But when you get your planks in and ab work in in the TANNING BED and then talk about how healthy you are? No. No, that is not a good healthy example. It is like smoking a cigarette while you go for a run. Maybe they cancel each other out? But probably not.

The third thing (and apparently the internet is making me ragey - maybe I should quit it): multiple tweets about the same blog post RIGHT AFTER each other. I get it, you have a new blog post. Tweet it. I do that sometimes and I even appreciate when people do it. It is a good way to get me to read your post if you do it once. But to tweet the same blog post multiple times an hour, each tweet just minutes or seconds apart? I get it. You posted pictures of your dog AND you did something fun/funny/stupid yesterday. Do you really need to tell me 15 times? I know I'm forgetful and I often end up meaning to read things and don't end up doing it - but telling me 15 times makes me feel like you're nagging.

Now if only I had a picture of me shaking my fist and making a "why I otta" face. So instead, this is what you get:

So what has been grinding your gears lately? What should I not get you started on?

12 comments:

jcassidy said...

Let's stand on top of the highest mountain and proclaim to the world, "WE LOVE THE SNOOZE BUTTON".

I always set at least 2, sometimes 3 alarms. Then I proceed to hit the snooze button on them. Sometimes I wake up for a few minutes, then let myself go back to sleep. I figure that my day is busy enough I should get to wake up the way I want. So I agree with you. Also do people who brag about this think it is some kind of amazing advantage that they have over other people? Like they are somehow more evolved? Good for you, no wisdom teeth and no snooze button, yay!

Rebecca said...

Tanning beds!! Ugh hate them so much! I don't get why people go to tanning beds, says this pale person. I don't even like to tan in the sun....

I always have pet peeves. I will do a real-life one and a twitter one for you:

Real-life: When people walk in the grocery store parking lot in a long row so cars cannot get through and have to wait for you to walk by so they can continue driving. Usually they are also extremely slow.

Twitter: People who retweet their entire bloody conversations and had hashtags to everything. Every once and while my feed gets spammed by stupidness.

Laura said...

Grind my gears...this made my morning.
No lies at all..I never hit snooze. I think I am so paranoid about sleeping through the alarm that I just get up when it goes off.

Leigh said...

Totally agree with your third thing! I've unfollowed people on Twitter because of that. Drives me insane!

runforwine.net said...

I loathe people that constantly tweet their blog posts. Twice MAX.

People who aren't passing in the passing lane and totally oblivious to those of us behind them that want to get around him. And taking that a step further - usually it's a Prius driver with more than one person so they should and could be using the HOV lane anyways. REALLY grinds my gears!

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

I hate when people tweet their blog posts multiple times too! I do mine once a day, two at an absolute max.

Heather said...

I have a parenting gear grinder. People who talk about how they are judged because they parent in a less than mainstream way, and then say "oh but that came from the mother of a flat headed baby on a stroller watching a DVD player". Guess what? You're judging.

MelissaNibbles said...

I used to tan like it was my job when I was in college. I'm so glad I stopped. I can only imagine how disgusting my skin would look if I hadn't. I agree that the tanning industry needs to have stricter regulations.

OH MY GOD. I hate the multiple tweets and I'm pretty sure I know the people you're referring to. I very rarely read their blogs because they do this. It turns me off. Why do I even follow them on Twitter? I don't know.

Michelle said...

People who don't mute their phones during teleconferences. I don't want to hear you typing it shuffling your papers. And poorly formatted PowerPoint slides. This post was all I could think about during that meeting today.

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

Someone bragged about not having to hit snooze? Get a life!! I also hit the snooze time several times before getting up (well I did before I had a child for an alarm clock).

My current annoyance is people asking why my baby is crying... if I knew I would do whatever to make it stop. Or people telling me I am doing it wrong- screw you!!

janelle c. said...

love this post. i don't know where i would begin with things that grind my gears!

i lol'd at the snooze button thing. vince has started turning his alarm completely OFF in his sleep! he LOVES his snooze button...

Nancy said...

Oooo my third thing is messed up on twitter and I don't know how to fix it! My blog posts twice on twitter after I've published my post.