Monday, March 05, 2012

monday morning smiles

Monday morning isn't my favourite...and I found myself putting together a post in my head for this morning that was all about things I wish I'd written. Something light (like how I wish I'd written this post because it would mean I could do my hair), but still something that in my head had the wrong attitude. So instead of "what I wish I'd written," I've got a "things that are great" for Monday morning. Not all are things I could have even written in the first place - but all are things that I think are fun, inspiring, or smile-worthy today.

First : The You Can Play Project. It is initiated by Patrick and Brian Burke of the NHL. Their mission statement:
You Can Play is dedicated to ensuring equality, respect and safety for all athletes, without regard to sexual orientation.
You Can Play works to guarantee that athletes are given a fair opportunity to compete, judged by other athletes and fans alike, only by what they contribute to the sport or their team’s success. 
You Can Play seeks to challenge the culture of locker rooms and spectator areas by focusing only on an athlete’s skills, work ethic and competitive spirit.
As someone who isn't gay and who isn't a competitive athlete, I don't know what locker rooms are like, but my assumption is that they aren't always all that gay-friendly (especially in the "tough and manly" sports). I hope this can be a good catalyst to help gay kids (and adult athletes) feel more comfortable being themselves while playing sports.

Second: Have you been following Aron's posts about training for her first ultra-marathon? If you've lost your running mojo or just like to read posts by someone who is loving running right now, read her blog. She's currently training for the American River 50 Mile Endurance Run and loving every second of it. Her enthusiasm is pretty contagious and her posts always make me smile.

Third: The sun! The days are getting longer and there is more daylight! The light is actually visible when I get up in the morning. The winter darkness is lifting and before I know it, waking up to a temperature of -16 will be in the past. (right now though? yeah, those cool temperatures are around for at least another few days)

Fourth: Did you know that there's a Platypus Day?! Apparently I missed wishing the platypus well on its day...but I guess I'll do that by directing you all to this random news story about it: Platypus Day. I forgot how funny looking an animal it is.

Fifth (and finally): Apparently, women don't like beards (on guys...jury is still out on bearded ladies). Looking at the news story, I'm hoping that the examples shown there aren't the best of the beard pictures that were used in the study. Sorry Keanu - your beard is a little weak, but Prince William? Not bad. The best news out of that study is for Jian Gomeshi - "light stubble" seemed to get the highest ratings of attractiveness from women. I guess we want a guy to be able to grow a beard, we just don't want him to actually grow it.

What is smile-worthy for you this Monday?

3 comments:

runforwine.net said...

"light stubble" is scratchy. I prefer my hubby clean shaven. That is a touchable face!

They really do have a 'day' for everything don't they?!

Rebecca said...

I don't mind beards, but I hate moustaches! Hate!!

I'm really liking the sun being up for longer! It makes me realize that spring is just around the corner :) Which also means I need to start running, like yesterday.

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

I HATE when Eric gets even a little stubbly - it scratches my face! Clean shaven please :) Luckily he prefers that too!

And I LOVE reading about Aron's 50-miler training. It's been tempting me to sign up for a 50K though... Eep!