Wednesday, February 08, 2012

things I wish I wasn't so good at

There are some things that we're good at and some that we're bad at. Some things we wish we were good at and of course, a few things we wish we weren't good at. Here are some of those things that I wish I wasn't good at.

Sticking my foot in my mouth. I have a talent for trying to be funny but sounding not so funny and probably horribly insensitive. It happens more than I'd like to admit, but I think for the most part, the people who know me well know that I have these temporary lapses of judgement but generally mean well.

Pushing the snooze button. I honestly can't tell you the last time I got out of bed right after my "first" alarm. I purposely set my alarm "three snoozes" earlier than when I have to get up. I guess I'm a gradual riser? I bet I would do well with one of those dawn simulation alarm clocks...

Feeling guilty. I am really really good at feeling guilty. Unfortunately, I tend to randomly remember things I've done way in the past and feel guilty about them. That feeling of dread is not something I enjoy at all.

Wasting time on the internet. Seriously. Why do I spend so much time looking up stupid things on the internet? I waste far too much time looking at random things. I wonder how productive I could be doing other times if I only gave myself 10 minutes of random computer time a night...

The good thing about this time wasting on the internet though? Finding Garfunkel and Oats. Yeah - I'm a little late with that discovery, but better late than never? Regardless, these ladies are funny. I recommend that you start with "Pregnant Women are Smug." (although starting with F**k You isn't bad either...cause who can argue with a good kazoo riff?)

Anything you wish you weren't good at?

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Haha, the first three are probably exactly what my husband would say about him! The snooze button drive me nuts as he wakes up earlier than I do and it wakes me up every time the alarm goes off. The internet thing is totally me though. But a good thing is I usually can find anything on the internet really quickly!

I wish I was not good at being somewhat robotic-like. I tend to close up when confronted (as I do not like arguing) and although I can counsel some students, I have a hard time doing the consoling talk with people I am close to.

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

I am terrible with the snooze button. I have 3 alarm clocks set, plus I snooze one of them at least 2-3 times every morning.

I am so good at wasting time on the internet I don't even need TV anymore!! I much prefer to browse the internet, read some blogs and research things than watch TV for hours each day.

Marlene said...

I hear you on the internet time-wasting. What a time-suck.

I'm really good at snoozing too. And feeling guilty, ESPECIALLY about things from the past.

I also wish I wasn't so good at buying treats I do NOT need to have in the house!

Jessica said...

I love Garfunkel and Oates! 'Pregnant Women are Smug' is getting me through my late twenties.

I'm terribly good at wasting time on the internet. I wish I weren't awesome at all the tricks and sneaks I'm good at. I'm also good at not cleaning up the kitchen and letting dishes fester until peak ripeness.

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

I am also REALLY good at pressing snooze and feeling guilty - especially when it comes to things like working out and eating!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I'm pretty sure I could have written this! I purposely set the alarm earlier than I want to wake up so I never have to wake up to the first one!

runforwine.net said...

I think most people think they feel guilt when they really just feel badly. Guilt is reserved for when you actually did something wrong. Not when you make somebody feel bad.

And I just saw that S&G song a few days ago. SO funny! I'll have to check out the other you posted....
satire is the best.

Anonymous said...

I am good at almost all the same thing as you. I purposefully set my alarm clock 3 "snoozes" earlier, I spend way too much time on the internet (like I'm doing now), and I am constantly remembering something from my past that I feel guilty about.

Peggy