Wednesday, February 29, 2012

leap day

Happy Leap Day everyone! It probably isn't much fun from ages 4 through to about 13, but after that, I've always thought it would be fun to have been born on February 29th. Sure, you don't get as many birthdays, but think of how big a party you can throw if you've got 4 years to plan it.

Since I'm one of those fancy pants thinky types who likes science and numbers, here's a little something explaining exactly how and why the leap year works the way it does:

According to 30 Rock, today you should be wearing blue and yellow, watching a movie starring a creepy Jim Carey as "Leap Dave Williams," and making lots of extra money - Jack Donaghy style. Ladies - if you've been waiting for a proposal, apparently today's the day that St Patrick agreed that women could propose to men (because apparently it isn't allowed any other time).

And if you're a runner - why not participate in the One Day Run. One day to run around the world. Log your miles on their Facebook Page - and for each of the first 1,000 people who log their miles on their wall, they'll donate $1 to the Ronald MacDonald house. You get to run, they get to donate to charity. Everybody wins!

Enjoy your February 29th!

5 comments:

Laura said...

I always wondered about Leap Year.
...now I know. Thanks!

Marlene said...

I knew about that proposal rule only because of the movie Leap Year. Or is it called Leap Day? Can't remember now, but it's cute.

My Grandmother turns "20" today! :)

Sara said...

I actually woke up wondering this very thing this morning! So, thanks!

RoseRunner said...

I heard that women are supposed to ask their male significant others to marry them on leap years. Ever heard of that? I asked my guy to marry me twice yesterday. He said "we already are married." Which may or may not be true...it's complicated....

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

hubby's aunt proposed to her hubby on this day, 4 years ago!! they had been together for 15? years.