Monday, January 23, 2012

winter running- the good

I have been know to complain a lot about winter running. It is cold; the wind is not just annoying to run in, but it freezes you too; the snow and ice make you slide everywhere; and it is an ordeal to get dressed to go outside. Ideally, I would run in fall or spring-like conditions al year (clearly I live in the wrong place). The good news is- there is a bonus about winter running: it can be absolutely beautiful.

Yesterday was such a day. Though the wind was a little chillier than ideal for the first part of the run, the scenery was as peaceful and idyllic as could be. There had been a really light dusting of snow (that looked almost like soap flakes) so the snow was perfectly white and sparkly. The temperature overnight had been just right for the frost and snow to make the branches white without weighing them down.
it is hard to pretend you're running
Running along the river felt almost other-worldly. It didn't feel like we were "home" anymore. It felt like we had been transported to a quiet, far away place... The river was steaming, the whole world was white, and we enjoyed the beautiful part of the winter we usually complain about.
winter wonderland
Even though the footing was slippery and the layers were many- I'm glad I got to experience a winter run like that.

Happy Monday!

4 comments:

Derek said...

I once ran a trail race on a morning with a fresh snowfall. It was the absolute most beautiful run I've ever experienced.

I'm also not a fan of the cold, but I at least try to get out for a walk when it snows (which it hasn't all year here so far)

runforwine.net said...

This is why I love/follow you: you always put a positive spin on things. Such a rare quality. Don't ever change!

kristen said...

Thanks Kristen! That comment made me smile :)

Marlene said...

Looks gorgeous! We still don't have any snow here so it's cold but ugly!! Boo.