Thursday, October 13, 2011

noteworthy apples or when apples are no longer hand-fruit

Yup, I'm actually dedicating a post to an apple. But here's the thing- the Honeycrisp apple is not just an ordinary apple but rather a piece of fruit heaven. Genetically it is a hybrid of what was originally thought to be the Macoun and Honeygold but later turned out to be false...look, you learned something! They are crunchy, they are sweet, they are never mealy. The name "Honeycrisp" is actually quite perfect- sweet and so crisp when you bite into it. Even better than that- they are HUGE:
Honeycrisp vs Courtland
They are so big in fact that most Honeycrisps can no longer be considered hand-fruit. What is a hand-fruit you ask? Well it is is simple: a fruit eaten out of the hand. Something that requires no preparation, no utensils, and no peeling. Most apples are indeed hand-fruit:
Courtland apple- definitely hand-fruit
But the Honeycrisp, unless you are Shaquille O'Neil, moves into non-hand-fruit category due to the fact that it would be next to impossible to eat without any sort of preparation:
Honeycrisp apple- NOT hand-fruit
The preparation time, however, definitely worth it. Once you try one, you too will be searching the stores every fall and talking about these magical apples to all your friends (this batch of Honeycrisps came to me through a friend because she knew someone with the "inside scoop"). I know it sounds weird to get excited about apples, but give them a try. Even Jordan calls them noteworthy.

Have you tried a Honeycrisp? Have you every found a piece of fruit to be noteworthy?

10 comments:

Lulu said...

I love honeycrisp - by far the most delicious apple.... so glad you think so too :)

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

Holy crap those apples are huge!! I don't think I have ever seen them before!

Laura said...

People get googly for pumpkin this time of year. I am all about the honeycrisp.
even if they cost a mortgage payment. :)

Lindsay and James Cotter said...

honey crisps are massive!! i wonder how many crab apples can fit into one honey crisp. I love buying mini fruit, call me crazy but big fruit scares me! haha.

Marlene said...

Honeycrisp are my FAVE and I have been gobbling them up ever since they appeared at the market! MMMMMMMMMM

Reverend Joyleaf said...

Preparation necessary in order to eat the Honeycrisp:

1. Open mouth.
2. Bring apple to mouth.

Whew. That's a lot of preparation.

;o)

kristen said...

Disagree. Way too big for that: cut apple. THEN bring to mouth and eat.

Kirst said...

I want a giant apple.

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I've never had one of these! I saw them this year for the first time, but I didn't want to commit to buying a $3-$4 apple until I knew what it was like!

runforwine.net said...

My one and only complaint about honeycrisp! SO good! Have you tried Cameo apples. Never mealy and handheld size.