Monday, October 03, 2011

internet hate

So I don't get hate mail and I don't think I've ever had a comment that has offended me. I've had people disagree with me, but no one has been mean or offensive. Clearly I haven't "made it" in blog land (and I'm ok with that). But here's how I know that people have a lot of blogger hate- I have the word "dooce" in my blog name.* And do you know who gets a lot of hate? Dooce.

Every week, I get hits on my blog because people are searching for Dooce. Some of them are just search terms- like dooce wedding, dooce photos, dooce larabar or more recently dooce running. But others reveal just how much people like to "hate" on the internet. Here is a list of some of the nicer ones- dooce is shameless, dooce's stupid marathon, stupid dooce, and i hate dooce.

I genuinely couldn't imagine googling something like that. Seeing those search terms makes me thankful that I've never had to deal with the hate. Would I be willing to deal with it for the kind of money she makes on her blog? Hmm- maybe....but I'm not so sure my skin is that thick. Could it thicken with time? Perhaps. But I'm perfectly happy with what I have.

Obviously I know that there is a LOT of crazy hate on the internet. You only have to look at the comments section of news sites to know just how MUCH internet craziness there is out there. I often wonder what those people did before the internet. Did they send strongly worded letters to the editor? Did they keep all that negativity inside? How did they get all that rage out before they could hide behind anonymous comments on the internet?

Don't get me wrong- I am all for constructive criticism and I love comments that challenge peoples thoughts and perceptions. A good debate is awesome. But I don't like blatantly mean comments- and I think we all know the difference between disagreeing with an opinion, constructive criticism,  and being mean.

If you've ever had to deal with it- what is your technique with dealing with internet hate? (I have to admit- I kind of miss the Dooce posts dedicated to hate mail) Have you ever left a comment that you worried would be taken the wrong way when really you were trying to be constructive?

*And hey, just in case you were wondering about the name of the blog, check out my first post ever (here). You see, back then, blog was practically a four letter word. Not everyone knew what a blog was and if they did, they thought you were a bit of a weirdo for blogging (not that I'm not a weirdo). There were a few "big" bloggers and one of them was Dooce. I thought she was pretty funny and thought to myself "hey, maybe I can blog too." And so, Inspired by Dooce was born. And now that she's running- can I pretend that she was inspired by me?

8 comments:

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

I haven't seen much hate mail/comments but you are the 2nd person to post about it so obviously it is a problem. Some people just have no llives and hide behind the internet to make others feel bad. They are the pathetic ones.

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

I totally forgot to mention the hate comments on news sites in the post I wrote about this. It's unbelievable!! I mean, I have a full-time job (and yes I'm commenting while at work right now) BUT I would never take the time to leave hate comments like the ones you see on news websites. Those are the WORST. Do people not have better things to do??? Ugh.

Laura said...

Haters will always hate...

Michelle said...

There was actually a skit on SNL this week about idiotic internet commenters. It was pretty funny and kind of highlighted the fact that these people probably don't have that much going on in their lives if they have that much time to post horrible, negative comments.

I have googled "I hate Dooce" because of something I came across whens he was "monetizing the hate" and I was curious to see how someone could create an entire blog around hating on another blogger.

Susan said...

I've had a few nasty comments in the past, and honestly it never bothered me because I assumed the people didn't have a high enough mental capacity to understand the purpose of what I was doing or what was really happening on my blog. How am I supposed to take someone seriously when it's full of typos and crude remarks? Now, a criticism that's been carefully thought and written out? That would sting!

Heather said...

If someone has something intelligent to say that's of a differing opinion than the author, I'm all for writing it without using hurtful language.

If you just say something like "you're dumb, you don't know what you're talking about, you're stupid", then it's just you being an idiot. (in my opinion.) But that's a little hateful in itself, isn't it?

runforwine.net said...

The other day I came across 'get off my internets.' that was an eye opener. I don't like all bloggers, but hate is a strong word. I have a big mouth so I offend and irriate alot of people. Frankly, I really don't give a shit. But I doubt anybody truly *hates* me???? Who knows. Dealing with all that hate is too much energy. It would have to be an awful lot of money for me to find it worth the while. What do peple hate about her? I don't get it?

and of course she's inspired by you!

lu said...

i totally agree that my skin is also not thick enough. getting snarky comments on evaluations after i've done a training or presentation are enough for me to obsess over, couldn't handle hateful comments on my blog.

(of course, this would mean i would actually have to post something every now and again!)