Monday, October 17, 2011

back to school- thoughts before it starts

So today I start my classes for my MSc (yes, it is the middle of October so it seems a little weird, but it is a  kind of different program- made for people who work full time). I have two weeks of classes and other than the 40 hours of class-time a week, I also have reading to do and other assignments here and there for the next two weeks. I'll have projects to do once the classes are over, but the next two weeks will be pretty intense.

Since I'll be in school for more hours than I usually work AND I have to leave my house (ah the joys of working from home) I'm thinking about things like will I have time to run, will I have time to do my usual errands, who is going to make me dinner?

I don't think I have access to a fridge at school and I'm used to bringing/making my own lunch...what will I eat? 'Cause come on, we know how much I love food and I get a little freaky when I can't eat on schedule.

And then there's the actual school related stuff- What if I don't get along with the people in my program? (there seems to be a decent amount of group work on the schedule) What if they're all geniuses and I end up looking stupid? What if it is crazy hard and I don't understand? You know- all those little anxieties that creep into your head when you're starting something new.

I'm sure it will all go well (although I know it will be a lot of work and it will be exhausting) but I am a little nervous both about the school part and the fitting it into my normal life. I forget how lucky I've been to be able to have good work-life balance. The good news is- even though I know I'll have pretty bad school-life balance for the next two weeks, I know it is just for two weeks that things will be super crazy. I can handle a little less than balanced for a little while.

So hopefully all goes well!

Tell me- do you have good work life balance? What do you do when you find the scale tipping to the unbalanced side?

5 comments:

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

Good luck! I am sure you willl do great! Usually when work life gets out of balance for me I have to reduce the number of weekday evening commitments I have. Unfortunately I can't scale back at work so social life gets the cut.

Toronto Girl West said...

I totally admire you for studying and working! That takes discipline!!!

As for me, I have a really good work life balance thanks to a fantastic employer. But recently I've felt the balance tipping and my body was starting to manifest the symptoms. I've been exhausted and fighting off a cold or light flu that I can't shake. In those moments I force myself to take a step back, take a sick day if possible, and concentrate on proper nutrition.

A sick worker is an inherently bad worker after all.

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

Good luck!

Some weeks I do and some weeks I don't. This is one of those weeks that's definitely a don't as I have a lot of full days planned. Tomorrow I'll be working from 8 am - 8 pm with my regular full time job and then freelance side projects in the evening.

I find more and more lately I'm struggling to "get it all done" which makes me wonder if I'm just trying to fit too much in my day? I'm starting to cook bulk foods on the weekends so I don't have to worry about making a meal during the week and I think that will help!

Laura said...

I cannot imagine studying and working...
I think I have a pretty good balance. The only thing that really irks me is the time spent commuting. It is such a waste so I am hopefully that we are going to move to more work at home with my job. The extra 1.5hrs a day will come in handy...

Rebecca W said...

I'm known to be a workaholic...my schedule can be pretty intense at times, especially if I am actually working. I do enjoy what I do and find my job fun most of the time. I do most of my readings for my masters class (I only take a class at a time), but if the reading is super boring, I tend to just skim ;)

However, things will be changing for me in about 6 weeks....so we will see how baby alters my work schedule.