Thursday, September 22, 2011

thursday randomness- the busy week and arcade fire edition

Getting up before 5 am to catch a train is not the most fun thing to do when instead of being in bed at a normal hour, I was at the Metropolis with a few thousand people rocking out to Arcade Fire.
Arcade Fire in grainy iPhone photo
This was the second time I've seen them and they did not disappoint.When they came on stage, they seemed genuinely happy to be there (after all, Montreal is home) and they put on a great show. It is pretty hard not to enjoy a band that plays with 2 drum sets, has 2 people who can play the accordion, 2 violin players, has a guy who rocks out really hard while playing the glokenspiel, and plugs a charity basketball game saying "even if you hate basketball, it is a good cause and it will probably involve pulling our pants down."

This year, Arcade fire has won a Juno (like a Canadian Grammy), Brit award, the Polaris Music Prize, and a Grammy. When they won the Grammy for Album of the Year the internet exploded with "Arcade Fire? Who the Fuck is Arcade Fire?" If you haven't heard their Suburbs Album (which was the album of the year), it is definitely worth a listen (as are all of their albums) and their interactive "The Wilderness Downtown" video is pretty awesome. And if that didn't sell you, how about the fact that they sell a "Who the Fuck is Arcade Fire?" shirt at their concerts?

Other tired randomness:
Standing for hours at a concert makes your feet hurt.

I'm hoping to get a run in today in Ottawa. I really hope it happens.

For the first time, I'm really thinking about how to approach this race on Sunday. My usual technique involves the Barney Stinson method of running- Step One: start running. There is no step two. But this time I'm trying to look at the route and figure out where I might feel good and bad and how I'm going to deal with that. I'm open to suggestions- so feel free to share your best race day positive mantras and thoughts with me!

Have I mentioned that my sister is having her baby in a short TWO WEEKS (or so...). That is just crazy talk I tell you. CRAZY TALK.

Ok, I think that is enough with the tired ramblings. So here are some questions for you-
Arcade Fire- yay or nay? 
Race day- what are your best mantras and positive thoughts?

2 comments:

Kirst said...

I have never heard of them but will you tube them. I'm with Barney. I actually try not to think too much about it. The mental part of races gets to me. I know that during the harvest half I'll be thinking about the 2 birthday parties my kids will be hosting that day.

Marlene said...

I swear I am too old for concerts... I need days to recover! Glad you had fun!