Thursday, August 18, 2011

three things thursday- the running related edition

I thought I'd continue from yesterday's running post and make today's tree things running related.

First: Last Friday I did my long run. Since I was going camping and I had Friday off, I figured I'd get it done while I had the extra time and so that I wouldn't have to worry about getting it in later in the weekend. Jordan also did his long run and since he had some marathon pace miles to do, he wanted to use the Garmin. So for the first long run in awhile, I ran without it and I loved it! I'm not sure if it was the cool weather (I was up early to get it done), the lack of checking my wrist, or the audio book I was listening to, but it was almost a blissful long run. I just pushed "Play" and listened to A.J. Jacobs tell me all about his life as an experiment. It was a great run. I think I'll do it more often.
Not on Friday's long run, but it was a Garmin-less run.
Second: It is kind of hard to do a tempo run in the semi-darkness. On one hand, the darkness makes me run faster in certain sections if I feel like things around me are a little sketchy...but on the other hand, the darkness makes it hard to see the little divots and imperfections on the running surface and I have a natural tendency to want to slow down. Even more importantly though, it is hard to check my pace. Therefore, I had a very inconsistent tempo run last night that ranged from 2 to 22 seconds off pace. At least they were faster instead of slower?

Third: I finally registered for my race. I guess I kept forgetting to do it and since the fee doesn't go up until sometime in September it wasn't on my "must do now" list. But the other day I remembered and signed up. Hooray! Now I just need to decide if I should run another half just a few weeks later and the day before I start school. I'll be there anyway because Jordan will be running the marathon, but the question is- should I run too?

So- do you like to leave the garmin (or watch, or whatever you might have to help pace you) at home sometimes and just run? If you don't have a GPS or pacing type device- do you want one or do you think it would make running less fun?

7 comments:

Marlene said...

You're going to be here - do the half!!

I can't remember the last time I ran Garmin-free... sounds refreshing!

Heather said...

I like both... depending on what the goal is. If I were doing tempo things, I'd want it, if I were just getting in the kms, I'd go without.

runforwine.net said...

That book sounds good. I love listening to books on long runs. Definitly helps.

Were you wearing a headlamp?

Only on easy runs. I'm too married to numbers to go without it very often :)

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

Do it!!! Sign up- like right now!

I can't remember the last time I ran without my garmin... maybe never since I got her last year?

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I'm so used to running with my Garmin, but when I take it off it's great. Really freeing and I focus on the run! BUT-I know I run slower in these cases.

fitchickbritt said...

I'm pretty attached to my garmin, but I can leave it behind every once in a while.

Derek said...

I don't currently use anything to pace me other than the treadmill, but have thought about getting a Garmin.