Tuesday, August 30, 2011

chili in august

I just made chili. In August. And I didn't even break a sweat- something feels off. Not that I'm complaining too much- we know how I hate the heat, but it feels strange that I just made chili in August.
Picture perfect Monday dinner
Just in case you're curious- I used a variation of an EatLiveRun recipe for turkey chili. She uses two cans of kidney beans, I use both black beans and kidney beans. She uses wine, I sometimes use beer instead of wine. The recipe calls for crushed tomatoes but I like to use both crushed and diced. Plus, I like to add mushrooms and corn- just for deliciousness and extra texture. And this time? I added extra meat.

The big bowl of chili with some chewy baguette was a perfect dinner for a cool Monday evening. And since I had a serious case of the day after long run hunger (or runger?), it was perfectly filling as well.

Post run hunger I can do something about- but post long run sleeplessness I can't seem to. Lately I'm finding that the nights after my long runs, even though I'm exhausted, I just can't get to sleep. Sunday involved getting up decently early, running 14 miles, and chilling out for the rest of the day (since it was POURING rain thanks to a little bit of Irene's weather blowing our way). I was tired when I got up and tired when I went to bed but I just couldn't fall asleep...very frustrating.

Does anyone else have trouble sleeping after long runs (or other sports)?
Any meals that you're looking forward to making now that summer is almost over?

9 comments:

Derek said...

Thanks for sharing. I just grabbed that recipe and can't wait to try it out. YUM!

Marlene said...

PUMPKIN MUFFINS! Okay that's not really a meal... but it might be!

runforwine.net said...

Funny. I just made chili a few nights ago too. Not sure why since we've had lots of sun and warm weather, but the craving hit.

I'm not a good sleeper in general so I randomly can't sleep. Wish I could help.

Laura said...

I can't wait to make up a big batch of veggie chilli. I have some awesome cornbread in the freezer that is going to go well with it.

Kirst said...

We're having chili tonight too. It's a chili kind of day. Brrrr.

Heather said...

Mmmmmmmm with Johnny cake??

Heather said...

(kirst with the Johnny cake... I should have specified.) I know she makes a mean Johnny cake.

Kirst said...

I wish. I thought we had enough cornmeal but alas no such luck. It just won't be the same.

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

I LOVE chili!! It is one of my favourite cold weather foods!