Monday, August 22, 2011

canadian sadness- goodbye mr layton

My favourite Canadian politician passed away today. My love of Jack Layton has been well documented on the blog (for the one post recap- read this one here). So it was with shock and sadness that I read the news that he passed away this morning.
"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair." Jack Layton
Whether you agreed or disagreed with his politics, his policies, or his moustache, we can all agree that he was feisty and he was wise. His final letter to Canada both broke my heart a bit (just imagining what it was like to write something like that knowing he didn't have much longer) and left me hopeful.
In Ottawa
Thank you for your service to our country Mr. Layton. I will continue to be loving, hopeful, and optimistic in my bid to help change the world.

7 comments:

Marlene said...

Such a sad loss for Canada. :(

Susan said...

I lived in his riding when I was in Toronto and he was well-loved even in that pocket of the city. I saw him a few times out at events talking to people. A man who really practiced what he preached. The fact that cancer is what took him makes it so, so much harder to swallow. I just don't understand how a person so vibrant can still be taken by the disease...

Toronto Girl West said...

I read the letter at work and cried a little.:o(

Lulu said...

I thought about you when I heard the news, and then tried my darndest not to cry reading his last letter.... it took me 30 minutes to get through the whole thing.

He was a great man.

Rhonda said...

Kristen, I knew you'd find the news difficult, as I'm sure countless other Canadians did. He was a great Canadian....and I'm sure you will treasure that picture even more now!

Paige @ Running Around Normal said...

I just read this on Susan's blog. So sad :(

Leana said...

He truly was an amazing person. I think whether you agreed with his politics or not he certainly managed to unite a country. Hopefully the political climate here will be a better place for having Jack Layton in it, even if he never did reach his ultimate goal.