Tuesday, August 16, 2011

1984 was a good year

1984 was a good year for two important reasons. Firstly, because the Macintosh computer was introduced in January. Secondly, because later that year, my little sister Heather was born.
We were a two-home family (aka, parents were divorced and had joint custody) so while the houses changed and parents changed every two weeks or so, the one thing that didn't change was the two of us- we were constants.
I know you're jealous of my overalls and mushroom cut.
It would course be a lie if I said that everything was always perfect. Siblings always have difficulties and life isn't always sunshine and lollipops. But those little fights and problems are easily forgotten and the happy memories remain. Life is good like that.
everyone loves a superhero cape
Heather is one of those people for whom things work out- she makes it work. She sometimes lives with what some would call "reckless abandon" but that in reality is just taking calculated chances in which she seems to be able to trust in the unknown variable far more than I can.
She's had her fair share of ups and downs, but I love that she manages to celebrate and remember the ups instead of wallow in the downs. I can always count on her to make me laugh and I'm pretty good at making her laugh too.
hiding
It is her birthday today. It baffles me that she's old enough to be a real live grown-up who will soon be a parent. Totally baffles me. If I could change just one major thing about my life, it would be to live closer to her. That way, I could be there to wish her a happy birthday in person. And on the oh so very important day in October (most likely) that is coming up, I could be one of the first people to congratulate her and to welcome her little one into the family.
testing the waters
Happy Birthday Heather! This year promises to be the best and craziest one yet! (and considering your last couple of years- that's saying a lot!) I hope the day is a special one for you.

5 comments:

Heather said...

You know how to make a pregnant lady cry!! Thanks for such a lovely post. You're pretty much the best sister ever.

Marlene said...

Great tribute to your sister - Happy Birthday Heather!

Leigh said...

Ah, happy birthday to your sister! I hope she has a fabulous day :)

janelle said...

aww, that's the sweetest. Happy birthday, heather!

sandbocks said...

You guys are so great! Miss you!!