Thursday, July 07, 2011

three things thursday- the random edition

Hello! It has been warm here so my runs have been very sweaty- good times.
Since this is the random edition, on with the randomness.

1- Speaking of sweaty- Suz and I did  some VERY sweaty speed work.  For my last training cycle, I did most of my speed work and tempo runs alone. It was nice to have some company! Sure, neither of us could quite figure out where the turn around point should be (somehow the math was working even less in my head than it was in her's), but at least we got it done! Despite the heat and the wind, we hit our paces! (ok, we overshot and went a little too fast) But even with a friend, running fast is HARD!

2- I saw this sign when Jordan and I went for a run on Quadra Island. It made me laugh so I had to take a picture:
Dead Slow.
3- Since it is my birthday month, I had to go pay my annual driver's license fee. Yes, that's right- Quebec has an annual fee. You pay almost $90 a year for your license. In both Alberta and Ontario (the other two provinces I've lived in), I paid that much every FIVE years. Sigh...Quebec I love to hate your fees.

And as a bonus random thing- the Canada Post lockout may be over, but the mail is barely trickling in. Two things that should have come during the lockout are my Bon Appetit magazine and more importantly- Jordan's provincial tax refund! Since this is our first year in the province, we actually had to mail all of our stuff in. Both of our returns were in the same envelope and I owed the province money, the province owed him money. My fat cheque to the government has been cashed...but so far, no refund for him :( Darn you postal lockout- I want to read about food...


So- any random things to share? Do you have an annual fee for your driver's license?

7 comments:

Marlene said...

That sign! OMG, that's horrible! LOL!

Speed work with company is awesome. Nice work on the sweat fest! But yeah, running and doing math in your head do not mix!

Sarah for Real said...

Wow $90 a year seems pretty steep! I guess that goes to road maintenance type stuff though? That's probably not the worst way to help pay for those things I guess. I'd still grumble about it though.

kristen said...

If the roads were any good, I'd be happy to pay! Both licensing and registration costs here are STEEP but the roads in Montreal are terrible and the overpasses are crumbling. Sigh.

Claire said...

You have a nice blog. Try to visit my blog too www.claire-fernandez.blogspot.com... Thanks

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

Worst sign ever!!

Wow that is a hefty fee to pay every year for your DL!! Good thing I am not planning on moving to QC anytime soon.

Mail has been slow to arrive here too. Junk mail is back to normal though!! Such a waste of paper...

Reverend Joyleaf said...

Mail delivery would be normal but CPC will not pay us O.T. right now. The current company policy is "do what you can and if you have to leave mail for tomorrow, leave it til tomorrow". I've had to delay mail everyday this week in order to finish by my official end time.

Cory Reese said...

No annual license fee.....thank goodness!

I agree. Running + fast = ouch.