Tuesday, June 07, 2011

we all scream for poutine

I'll interrupt the usual blogging about healthier habits to talk about another of my favourite things: food.

I've blogged about my latest food obsession before- here and here...but trust me, that's not the only poutine I've been eating. I don't always order it myself, but Jordan seems hell bent on trying as many poutines as he can here in Montreal. Therefore, I've sampled more than my fair share.  Still, despite all the different ones we've tried when it comes to consistency, availability ('cause you can't just walk into Au Pied de Cochon on a whim), and "yum-factor", we keep going back to La Banquise.

This is especially true when we have out of town guests so since Jordan's parents were in town this weekend, we saw it as the perfect opportunity for yet another trip to La Banquise for some fatty goodness. While most of us stayed with Poutine Classique (fries, cheese curds, poutine sauce), Jordan's dad decided to go all out and get something called the T-Rex.  The T-Rex is fries, cheese curds, poutine sauce, ground beef, pepperoni, bacon, and smoked sausage. Just read that list of ingredients again....yup, that's a serious plate of poutine.
T-Rex before
It was a little crazy just to look at and to even think about eating. But Randy was a trooper and managed to polish off most of it. It was pretty darn impressive actually.
T-Rex after
Not sure I will be trying it out any time soon (not nearly enough cheese for my liking ;-) but I thought it was pretty noteworthy. And I'm pretty sure Randy's liver is still working overtime trying to process all that fat.

So to you- poutine: thumbs up or thumbs down? (and I'm not talking about the fries, gravy and cheese that certain fast food restaurants call poutine)

12 comments:

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I've never been able to get my head around poutine! My favorite fries are the super crispy ones, so anything that makes them soggy is a no go for me!
:)

Leigh said...

That is a serious plate of poutine that your father in law had! Did you try any of it?

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

Two BIG THUMBS UP. I adore poutine in every way. Too bad over here in the west all you can really get is DQ or A&W poutine :P Not so great compared to the "real stuff".

Despite being a vegetarian, one thing I will probably never fully give up is poutine. Especially since I only really get to have it once a year or so :)

Michelle said...

Thumbs up! I don't have it very often, and I have to be in the right mood, but I do enjoy it every once in awhile. You'll have to take me to this spot the next time I visit!

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

I LOVE poutine! I am now craving it...

Not sure if I would order the poutine that your father-in-law did...

Sarah for Real said...

I'm from Washington State so I'd never even heard of poutine until I saw it on a tv show 6 months ago. I do travel up to BC at least once a year and I love getting fries with gravy so I'm determined to find poutine next time! Any advice on how to find distinguish good poutine from bad?

Marlene said...

We are poutine fanatics over here! Obviously we don't indulge as often as we would like but it is a definite favourite!

I am definitely book marking this recommendation for the next time we are in Montreal! Hubs would be all over that T-Rex!

kristen said...

Sarah- I sent you an email of my poutine tips- but does anyone else have any suggestions? How do you judge a good poutine?

Heather said...

Love it!

I even don't mind the sorry excuses for poutine. Fries? Good. Cheese? Gooood. Gravy? Gooooooooood. You cant go wrong.

Toronto Girl West said...

TWO MASSIVE THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!

lol Seriously, poutine is one of those things that I just adore. And yes I know ti's horrible for me.

But it's so worth it!!!!

Samantha Angela said...

I actually wasn't all that impressed with the poutine at Au Pied du Cochon when I went there last year. Maybe I was expecting too much from it.

The rest of the meal though was STELLAR.

Faye said...

The poutine was soooo yummy especially with the squeaky cheese curds. The T-Rex though? Seriously -that much fat just clogs my arteries thinking about it.