Here are some things I learned from that first race:
- If you're debating about whether or not you need to wear a hat- wear it! The sun came out blazing after it was threatening rain before the race. I really wished I had taken the hat with me.
- If the course is hilly, maybe do some hills while training. Even if you just throw some in every so often...I didn't do a lot of hill running and paid the price.
- Vermont is hilly but it is also very pretty.
- Bodyglide is a very good thing.
- There will be a point in the race where you want to give up. You won't regret that you didn't.
- Coke tastes absolutely delicious after running 13.1 miles.
- Knowing there are people at the end of the race cheering for you helps get you to the finish line.
- Finishing your first half marathon makes you feel awesome...no matter how fast or slow your time is.
- The aftermath might not be so awesome- killer headaches, exhaustion, multiple mentions of "I'm never doing that again."
- It doesn't take long before you decide to do it again.
Have a GREAT weekend and good luck to Kirst tomorrow- hope the rain isn't too bad!