Friday, June 10, 2011

a bit of a flashback- june 2008

Here is what I was doing in June 2008:
Before
running my first half marathon...with my sister, yaaaay.

Here are some things I learned from that first race:
  • If you're debating about whether or not you need to wear a hat- wear it! The sun came out blazing after it was threatening rain before the race. I really wished I had taken the hat with me.
  • If the course is hilly, maybe do some hills while training. Even if you just throw some in every so often...I didn't do a lot of hill running and paid the price.
  • Vermont is hilly but it is also very pretty.
  • Bodyglide is a very good thing.
  • There will be a point in the race where you want to give up. You won't regret that you didn't.
  • Coke tastes absolutely delicious after running 13.1 miles.
  • Knowing there are people at the end of the race cheering for you helps get you to the finish line.
  • Finishing your first half marathon makes you feel awesome...no matter how fast or slow your time is.
  • The aftermath might not be so awesome- killer headaches, exhaustion, multiple mentions of "I'm never doing that again."
  • It doesn't take long before you decide to do it again.
After
 What did you learn from your first attempt at a certain distance?
Have a GREAT weekend and good luck to Kirst tomorrow- hope the rain isn't too bad!

5 comments:

Leigh said...

I learned to respect the distance as it takes a toll on your body! That and if I put my mind to it, I can accomplish it. I never thought I would be able to run 13.1 miles, but I did it!

Have a great weekend!

Heather said...

That was so hard!!!! I never wanted to do that course again. And then we did. And for real this time I'm never doing that course again.

kristen said...

good tips. And I can't belive your first half was in 2008. It seems like you've been running forever. Your a natural!

Kirst said...

The rain as brutal. So cold. Thanks for the good luck.

Kirst said...

should say was, not as.