Saturday, May 14, 2011

two weeks out- training cycle thoughts

I love running- don't get me wrong...but I find that sometimes before a race, I get a bit burned out and I'm ready for the race to be over already. While sticking to a training plan is very good for me (as in, I probably wouldn't run longer than about 8 miles without one), by the end of a training cycle, I am usually sick of having a schedule.  As someone who is easily injured, I have to build sloooowly, which means my training schedules end up being extra long so I'm extra sick of looking at that calendar and having it tell me what to do.

This training cycle has felt even longer because of weather (man I ran in a lot of snow and wind) and because I haven't been able to do much else in the way of non-running training due to my math class sucking up two evenings (plus study time) a week. In honour if it almost being over- here are a few things that I'm looking forward to doing once the race is over:
(source) 
 YOGA. I haven't been to a yoga class in months and I miss it. I've been doing some on my own- in my hallway with a podcast, but it just isn't the same. I miss the long stretches, I miss the environment of the yoga studio. My body also misses all that stretching. I don't think I've ever felt this tight during a training cycle and I think that's due to my lack of yoga. Not sure I'll be hitting up the antigravity yoga, but I'll be doing some sort of yoga.

hello old friend
CYCLING. I haven't been on my bike since the fall. I meant to do more trainer rides in the winter but it just didn't happen and really I only have myself (and can I blame calculus too?) to blame for that. I think my legs will be happy do do something other than just running once the bike comes out.

cold swimming?
SWIMMING I haven't been swimming at all. The pools here are confusing as to when the open swims are and I just haven't bothered to figure them out yet. Again- that's a little bit of laziness on my part, but it is also hard to want to go swimming when it is cold out. Now that it is warm out though, no excuses. Gotta get back on the swim train.

And of course I'll still be running- just not 5 times a week. I'm looking forward to fewer runs a week ESPECIALLY because the heat of the summer is coming and the heat and I don't get along so well. I'll still be training for something, but I'll also be doing some fun runs- like the Energizer Night Race!

The end is near- (of both this training cycle AND the calculus class- final exam is on the 19th...YAY) so I'll be making the most of the next two weeks of training but I'm also clearly looking forward to something a little different.

How do you usually feel at the end of a training cycle- burned out or ready for more?

6 comments:

Marlene said...

I know the feeling! Definitely ready for a break - running on less of a schedule for a while, not needing most runs to "count" if you know what I mean.

Looks like you have a good plan! Good luck!!

Heather said...

I always get burnt out when I program is too long. I need a short one, then a race, then another short one, and a race. A long one and one race at the end means I won't follow my program.

Kirst said...

I am with you. I'm ready for it to be over and have fun running when I want and how long I want. 2 weeks left baby woohoo! Although I am looking forward to the warmer runs myself. I love running in the summer.

Leigh said...

I didn't realize your race was the same weekend as mine! What one are you doing?

I am feeling pretty good so far, and not quite ready for the plan to end because that means it's race day and I am nervous for it!!

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

I almost ALWAYS feel burnt out at the end of a training cycle and ready for a break! I haven't been on a REAL training plan since my marathon though. I've just been kind of winging it since then, ha! So I'm kind of looking forward to getting on another one when I train for a sub-2 half this fall!

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

Yup so burned out after a training cycle. I so look forward to going back to short training runs again!!

I like yoga because it adds some variety in a training cycle. It isn't high impact but you don't feel like you are being lazy by not running... again...

Pretty bike! I did my first outdoor ride yesterday and I had a smile on my face the entire time (even when the wind threatened to blow me into the ditch!)

Swimming- haven't been able to convince myself to pick it up again. Guess I should since I have a tri in 3 months...

Yay to calc almost being done!!!!