Wednesday, April 20, 2011

ladies- don't take it personally when he doesn't notice

One thing I've noticed about people with the XY chromosome is that they aren't as observant to change as those of us with the XX. It isn't a personality flaw, I deeply believe that there is something about that Y chromosome that makes its carrier just a little slower on the uptake when it comes to observing change. To back up that belief, I present to you the following conversation that happened late Tuesday evening:
Husband: Are you getting your hair cut soon?
Me: (laughing) I got my hair cut yesterday*
H: : What? It doesn’t look that different…
M: (laughing even harder) I have BANGS…
H: (slightly incredulous) oh yeah…you do have bangs…
M: I actually lost a lot of hair yesterday…it is quite different and I’m still not 100% if I like it yet
H: well, you had it in a ponytail for most of today and…
M: and I still had bangs… (I take my hair out of the ponytail and do a little turn around)
H: Oh, you’re right, it IS very different…I think it looks good.
Once I had stopped laughing, I thought this was a good life lesson to us all- sometimes, they just don't notice. It is just the way they are and it is ok (and perhaps somewhat humourous and endearing). So maybe we should just all make a game of it. Change something and then see how long it takes for the men in your life to notice...

What about you- do you think my theory is sound? Any funny stories about people not noticing a change? Or about noticing a change and reacting in a funny way? (When we were young, my sister once asked my dad to put his moustache back on after he shaved it)

*he got home very late that day, so there was no way for him to have noticed the actual day I got it cut since I was already asleep.

9 comments:

Caitlin at Healthy Tipping Point said...

Hehehe. When I was 14 or so, I dyed my hair from blonde to dark brown. I got in the car with my Dad (he was picking me up from my mom's) and he didn't say anything! When I asked him if he liked my hair, he was like "Did you get it cut?!"

Derek said...

I hope you don't mind, I just lined my blog to yours today, I "borrowed" it.

Thanks,
Derek

Nicole @ "Haute Runner" said...

Haha!! Most of the men in my life are observant but I know what you mean! I had a few female co-workers take months to notice that I dyed by dark hair back to blonde!!

Rhonda said...

My hubby does notice hair stuff but is less observant over other things.
However, I notice co-workers can be very blind to things going on -- I was 8 months pregnant at work and having a baby shower. Another co-worker walked in and didn't understand what the celebration was for and asked someone else if it was their birthday! She said, incredulously, it's a baby shower. The person was so confused. I literally had to stand up and point to my belly!! Awkward!

 Curly J said...

HAHA.. great story!

Thanks for visiting my blog!! :)

Lulu said...

Theory is very sound... happens all the time. Well that and its hard for them to concentrate on more than one thing at a time.

Derek said...

In response to what you said on my blog. I might argue that guys can be pretty territorial as in thinking of "those" as his, after all other guys can't have them, right? Therefore they would fall under "his" stuff and my theory that he'd notice still holds true. :-)

And thanks for the well wishes on finals, I've been in a study group for 3 hours tonight, and have another hour on my own to go

kristen said...

If anyone is curious as to what Derek is referring to- I suggested that one thing a guy would notice pretty quickly would be a change in the breastal area...

I'm still cracking up thinking about a 14 year old Caitlin shocked that her dad didn't notice a change in the colour of her hair :)

fitchickbritt said...

Oh yeah, my Hubby barely notices changes. Any time I dye my hair he's like oooohh it's darker? Nope! Lighter! It doesn't really bother me.

Now I'm trying to think of something I could change to throw him off...