Tuesday, February 01, 2011

on being Canadian

Ok, so this isn't a patriotic rant, but rather something funny my mother sent along. I don't know if it is actually a Jeff Foxworthy original, but it has been attributed to him in the email and seems Foxworthy-esque. Here are some highlights (with my occasional commentary in italics):


If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' and then back again all in one day...you may live in Canada.

If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use them...you may live in Canada. (I had no idea it might not be normal to have jumper cables in the car)

If your local Dairy Queen is closed September through May...you may live in Canada.


If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit...you may live in Canada. (This fun fact actually kind of sucks- it was hard to be something "cool" for halloween when you had to think about layering and snowsuits)

If you measure distance in hours...you may live in Canada.

If the speed limit on the highway is 80 km/h, you're going 95 km/h and every one is passing you...you may live in Canada. (Umm, are there "real" highways with 80 km/h speed limits? I'm from Alberta where the speed limit is 110 km/h and found it annoying to go to BC with it's 90km/h speed limit. In Quebec and Ontario it is 100 and sometimes that seems silly)

If you know all four seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction...you may live in Canada.

If you fine -2 degrees a "little chilly"...you may live in Canada. (-2 Celsius is indeed a "little chilly" but -2 F is  cold...so I guess it depends on your scale of measurement)

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time...you may live in Canada.

To go along with this, I'm hoping to be able to record an accent/regional speech video to go along with those that have been popping up here, there, and everywhere. Since I've never actually recorded video before, this may be more challenging than it should be, but hopefully it will work out so that I can play too.

So- do you relate to any of the "you may live in Canada" statements? Any words that you think I should say on the video (if I can make it work) that will show either my accent (though clearly I don't have one ;-) or "regionalisms"?

5 comments:

Lulu said...

I had the same reaction when I drove east from Calgary... the speed limit went down and the gas prices went up! 90km/hr when I got into Ontario did nothing for my mood.

Laura said...

Love this...
I'm interested if there are any Canucks who say A-boot for about. I don't know any..I don't that is for sure...

Leigh said...

Just came across your blog and thought I'd say hi as I am Canadian too!

Toronto Girl West said...

I'm excited for the video!!!

I found shooting mine wasn't that bad but uploading it was a pain. Until I had Tge idea to use Windows Movie Maker - shrunk the file size and then it uploaded no problem! :o)

Toronto Girl West said...

I'm excited for the video!!!

I found shooting mine wasn't that bad but uploading it was a pain. Until I had Tge idea to use Windows Movie Maker - shrunk the file size and then it uploaded no problem! :o)