Thursday, November 04, 2010

bureaucracy sucks

Apparently, moving provinces can be frustrating. Maybe because I was unemployed when I first moved to Ontario and didn't have a car so I had less to worry about, but all the red tape is a lot less fun this time around.

We need to change our licenses and to do that, we need an appointment and need to bring the following to said appointment:
  • current Ontario license 
  • current Ontario health card
  • Passport or birth certificate
  • two pieces of mail (each) that prove our address
Here's the problem- the pieces of mail. They can't just be random pieces of mail from say, my grandmother, but rather official pieces of mail such as a bill. Problem: most of our bills come via email (and apparently print outs aren't acceptable) and for the ones that come by mail, there's only one name on the bill and somehow they both have Jordan's name on them. When I asked if something like a lease would work, no, no it wouldn't (although if I had bought a house, those documents would have been ok). When I called Visa to ask them to send me a bill, they wanted to charge me $5 for it, but thanks to my "longstanding relationship" with the bank, when I gave them the "REALLY? $5 to send out a bill???" they agreed to waive the fee. (phew)

So there is proof of address number 1, woohoo! And in further good news, I have a long time to figure out that second piece of mail since the first available appointment was on December 6th. Now, I wonder how long it will take to transfer our health card.

3 comments:

Rhonda said...

Oh, yeah I know all about that nonsense. It was no picnic when we moved from NB to Ontario with a car, etc. It's painful and can be costly! I knew I was against those e-bills for a reason!! Good luck to you.

lu said...

this reminds me of dealing with the banks in the uk when i moved there. one incident in particular, where the teller refused to help me until i apologised for using profanity in my frustration! whoops.

but this stuff is enough to make anyone swear.

Reverend Joyleaf said...

I ran in to the same problem just after we moved back to Calgary. All our bills are in Lori's name and I had yet to received my bank statement. I had already changed my address at the bank but still no statement. All I had to do was go to the bank and ask for a print out of some kind. It had my new address. That was all I needed. Also, if all the your bills in Jordan's name you should be able to just show your marriage certificate to prove you're married to the man.