Tuesday, July 13, 2010

30th birth-tathlon

So I turned 30 this weekend. Originally, I wanted to celebrate being 30 (and I keep accidentally typing 20...but I often mess up when I have to use the numbers at the top of the keyboard rather than the number pad) by running 30K. But, when I last saw my physiotherapist, her words were "well...you could do that, I have no doubt that you could do it, but my question is do you want to do that knowing that you could re-aggravate a healing injury?" The answer to that was no, so I needed a plan B.

Enter, the "30th Birth-tahlon." Since I just bought a bike and am thinking of entering into the realm of triathlon (otherwise known as "two sports too many"), I figured swim-bike-run combo would be a good replacement to my 30K run. I had Friday off and what did I decide to do with my very first non-working Friday of the summer? Get up early and do a birth-tathlon. Why? Well, I guess my thought was that I could sleep in the next day.

Some highlights:
The 30 lap/1500m swim:
I was a little worried about this since I hadn't been in the pool since May. But, I reminded myself that this wasn't actually a race, got into a rhythm, and in the spirit of Dory, I just kept swimming. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought and I managed to finish in about 35 or so minutes (including a couple of breaks and an unfortunately SLOW man doing a doggie paddle-side stroke hybrid in a lane that was moving far too quickly for his style of swimming).

The 30K bike:
I got to wear my new biking shirt- that was one of the highlights (love all the pockets! and the scorpion...i love that too) :) As was starting the first 10K or so with Jordan. Other than that, and the random tourist who decided to take my picture, it was fairly uneventful. I had pushed it sometimes, didn't push it others, and had a nice bike ride. I'm not exactly sure how long it took, but probably about and hour and a half.

The 3 mile run:
Wow. It was HARD. All of last week was really hot and really humid. Friday was a little cooler than
the rest of the week, but at 100% humidity and a humidex above 30, the air was really thick. I started with a couple of blocks of walking and thought "gee, I must not have been riding hard enough because my legs feel fine" but then I started running and actually laughed out loud as I thought "ooooh...so THIS is why they call it a brick workout..." but once they loosened up a bit my legs were fine. It was the breathing that was a little crazy. I think the humidity was getting the best of me because I found it hard to get good breaths in. But, I got 'er done. It was a tough run, but I got it done (I think in somewhere between 26 and 27 mins).

All in all, it was a fun birth-tathlon. I swam, biked and ran about 36K in total- not bad for a first time trying all three at once. It was weird that the shortest part was the hardest, but with the crazy humidity and being a little fatigued by the first two legs, I'm not that surprised. Perhaps I'll have to make it an annual event.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Fun!!! Maybe I'll come do it with you!

Nichole said...

I absolutely love this idea!! If my birthday was only not in December, lol. Two sports too many, that's great.

Happy belated birthday. You celebrated in a fantastic way!