Thursday, May 27, 2010

i'll be back soon- and a trip to allium

I do have a post that has been brewing in my head...but until then, since my last post was about food, here's another...and well, it isn't a long post, just one to say that I had a delicious meal.
No pictures, just the delicious satisfaction of a great meal with some great friends.

Thank you Allium for a great meal!
We decided to skip the appetizers and save room for dessert (great choice. not that I don't think the starters would be good, but the desserts were delightful). The "hint of maple" salmon, that was apparently caught by a line and hook, was delicious. I almost didn't order it because it came with hollandaise sauce...but they made me a believer in GOOD hollandaise and I'm really glad I ordered it. The salmon was great, the vegetable "stack" of onion, kale, tomato, and asparagus was delicious, and the crispy potato? Yum. I went with their wine pairing- a "buttery chardonnay" and it really did pair well. Also good- Jordan's meal of chicken, duck, and cheesy mashed potatoes (with bacon-pan sauce).  Roasted birds and cheesy mash? Bacon? How can you go wrong?

There were four of us, so we tried four desserts. Of note were the "Sailor's Balls" that came with the banana split. Before we ordered, we asked about said balls and were told that they were actually chocolate rum balls. You pair the balls with the banana split and we reverted back to our 13 year old maturity levels...the plate really was a good sight. The sailor's balls though? Delish. I believe the words "when I am dying, please bring me some sailor's balls" were uttered by someone at the table.

I know this is random and all over the place, but it really was a great meal! (and of course, some great company)

Next post, a little something about running, goals, dealing with a change in plans, and why I've been a little quiet about it all...

Until then, if you are in Ottawa (for Race Weekend maybe?) I highly recommend a trip to Allium.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I love that you ate a banana split with balls.

k said...

and it wasn't even my idea...

lu said...

i love balls.

and i also love hollandaise sauce, but i too am a recent convert so i am glad that you have also seen how great it can be.

sounds like a great meal, both foodwise and companywise!

Derek said...

I'm eating lunch while reading this, and I think I just got hungry again...