Monday, May 31, 2010

dealing with disappointment and adjusting goals

I've been kind of quiet about the running lately...why? Well, I've had a bit of a setback. About a month ago, I started to feel some nastiness in my ankle and calf. There was some swelling, some pain, some tightness, and a distinct feeling of lack of power in that leg. I iced, I stretched, I did everything I thought of doing and then finally called the sports medical clinic and got myself in to see a doctor. The verdict was achilles tendon issues and an angry peroneus muscle.


After originally thinking that I'd have to wait a week and a half to see a physiotherapist, I found a great one who could see me within a few days and she is great. She has been in the medical tent in Kona, she's an athlete herself, and she's been great in helping things go well for me. The first thing she didn't say was stop running. Instead it was "cut your mileage pretty much in half, stop running if you get to the point where your gait changes." (When I asked the doctor if I could keep running, she said "usually I defer to the physiotherapist...he or she can let you know if running is undoing all the work you do there) I liked that. Obviously I trust that she would say "NO RUNNING" if it was necessary. But since it wasn't necessary in this case, it has been nice not to have to sit on my butt and wait until I heal.

But that "cut your mileage in half" thing has made my training a little odd. Especially because it was right at the point of my longest few runs. It has been an exercise in patience and self-control. It is hard to look at my training schedule and see the runs I'm not doing. It is hard to look back and see some great training runs that were putting me on track to run a good race. It is easy to start to feel really disappointed and crappy about it.

So, instead I try to look at the runs that I am doing and I try to be grateful for them. When I first went to see the doctor and then to the physiotherapist, I went thinking there was a possibility that I would be watching the race from the sidelines and so far, all things look good for me to be right there on the start line. And that is great news.


I think getting to the finish line will be just as interesting a journey as getting to the start line. I'll go in feeling under trained and feeling less confident than I would have hoped. But if the day is a good one and I can get my head together, who knows, maybe I'll surprise myself.

So- if you have any positive mantras, songs that get you running or things that help you get through tough runs- pass them along. Covered bridges, here I come :)


5 comments:

Heather said...

We will have fun. Don't you think?

k said...

We will have fun. Before will be great, after will be great, parts of the race will be great- but I know that there will be a few parts that won't be so great. All in all though- we raised our money, we got people moving, and now it is time for the fun part!

Rhonda said...

I think you definitely need to put on a song or two that makes you laugh - like laugh out loud. Because you ARE running and you ARE alive. And, that's what's awesome. So find that music or mantra that makes you realize that this isn't so serious - you do have you health, family, friends, and life!

Katie said...

Injuries stink! It's great that you have a good diagnosis and good doctors to work with though. Most of the time I get "it's an overuse injury, stop running." Even from the sports medicine doctors, and I live right near Boston with all the fancy hospitals and doctors. Anyway, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Derek said...

Good Luck! Hope it keeps going great