Monday, March 29, 2010

why i don't think i can eat my leftovers

On Saturday night, we had some lovely fish (trout) for dinner but didn't quite finish all of it. So for lunch on Sunday, I decided to make a hearty salad (that included plenty o veggies, the leftover rice AND the leftover fish). As Jordan was about to dig in, he asked "is this de-boned or did you just throw everything in a container last night?" my response was "for the most part, there should be no bones...just the stragglers." Then, I took a big bite.

Normally I'm pretty careful with fish. I used to think that a fish bone (or the fuzz from artichokes) would actually kill you if you swallowed them. I'm not sure how, but I was convinced that swallowing those things would result in certain death. But it was Sunday at lunch time...and since Sunday is long run day, I'm usually pretty hungry by the time I get home, Jordan gets home, and we finally get lunch organized. So I was hungry and wasn't paying as much attention as I usually do, so only seconds after I said "for the most part there should be no bones", I felt a bone going down my throat. And it stuck. No matter how many times I swallowed or how much water I drank, it wouldn't budge.

Slowly and very carefully (looking for more bones) I finished my lunch with the bone in my throat. It hurt, it felt funny, and I didn't like it. I coughed, I tried to clear my throat, but nothing would work. Once lunch was done I even tried to stick my finger back there and see if I could dig it out...nothing (and I even managed not to gag myself). I think I even tried to drink some water with my head upside down...

It really sucked and there was a point where Jordan asked me if I thought I needed to go to the doctor. I figured it wasn't doctor material quite yet, but that if it stuck around all night and into today, I'd probably need to have someone take a look. So instead of seeking medical attention, I did the next most logical thing: I got a slurpee. My thought was that it would bring down the inflammation and that might help things along and that if nothing else, it would at least be soothing on my sore throat.

It felt good on my throat, but nothing budged. So I carried on with my day, my throat feeling crappy and slowing making me nauseous. Luckily for me, the noodle soup we had for dinner (Jordan wanted to try out my new soup seasoning find) managed to dislodge the bone and by dessert time (mmm..ice cream), but throat was feeling much better. Unfortunately for me, I was still nauseous the rest of the night so it kind of ruined the soup for me. Which brings me back to the title...there's soup left, about a dinner worth of soup...and I don't think I can eat it. I feel guilty.

In other news, apparently Ricky Martin is gay. Wow. I never would have guessed that one. Yes, that IS sarcasm dripping off that statement. I guess he was finally ready to say it out loud.

5 comments:

lu said...

so the bone is still in your throat?! eek.

i once had a spice of some sort lodge itself into my throat and the clinic told my mom that i should drink hot drinks and eat cold foods to see if it would help work its way out.

unfortunately, i am not sure what finally made it dislodge, but i do remember feeling really awful the whole time it was stuck in there.

i hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

apparently, eating bread gets rid of a fish bone....

k said...

No- it isn't still there thank goodness!

It became dislodged once I ate my soup for dinner. I think all the noodles helped. I know someone who had a piece of bagel stuck in her throat for DAYS...so I was a little concerned. I'll have to keep the bread in mind if it happens again, but I'll make it bread and not bagels.

Katie said...

Oh man, that sounds terrible. I would have been so freaked out. I think I would have gone to the doctor. I'm glad it came out okay.

kris said...

I would take a chance with a piece of bagel stuck in my throat, but a fish bone? I think having a doctor in the house is making you over confident. I would have probably made a trip to the clinic after a couple of hours. I would have been especially nervous going to bed with it in there.