Sunday, March 21, 2010

two steps forward, one step back

If you've ever trained for something, I think you probably know what I mean when I say that some weeks or some days feel like you've taken a step (or two, or three) backwards. Things are going along well, you feel good, you feel strong, you feel like you're improving, and then BAM, things get ugly.

I had a day like that today. Earlier this week, I was really feeling like I was making good progress and my training was going well. I ran yesterday and today (which is normal for me- I usually run both weekend days) and while I was absolutely miserable for the first 10 or so minutes of yesterday's run, once I warmed up and got going, it got a bit better. It wasn't a great run, but it was ok. Today, however, was terrible. I started out with a nasty sloshing stomach (even though I was pretty sure I didn't drink too much before I left) and got worse from there with a lower abdominal stitch that just wouldn't go away. I would try to "run it out" but it would just get worse and worse until I realized that I may as well walk for a bit because it was affecting my stride so much.

I honestly can't even remember how many walk breaks I took, but I was definitely thankful that I had left my Garmin at home (I had forgotten to charge it last night). By the time I was close enough to home to feel like the run was all but over, my legs felt like lead and I felt a little defeated.

So, I decided to look back on the week to see if there may have been a reason for a rough weekend of running. The verdict? Yes. Tuesday was a tough hill session and Thursday was a bit of a crazy fitness class where we did everything "one legged". One legged squats, not so bad. One legged dead lifts, also not bad. But one legged burpees? Yeah, they are as bad as you think they'd be. Add that to the fact that all week I had felt like I was fighting a cold, and perhaps that is a bit of an explanation for my dead legs. I mean who knows, it may have been something different, but I figure those things all had at least something to do with the terribleness that was my running this weekend.

The good news is, tomorrow is a rest day (well, a yoga day, but no running) and Tuesday is another run on another day. Hopefully it will be a better run, but if it isn't, I know that the bad ones are just as important as the good ones...though the good ones are a lot more fun.

4 comments:

Kirst said...

I so hate those runs. I had a bad week of not being able to run. Gotta step it up this week.
It's always comforting to know others don't have perfect runs. Not that I wish them on anyone.
You know what I'm trying to say.

Heather said...

At least it isn't one step forward, two steps back.

lu said...

if it makes you feel any better, my calves are getting big...

k said...

Heather- very true. Because then I might start singing something like "a do, do, you love me, do do you love me?"

Sorry about those calves lu. Just think of them as shapely...not big.