Wednesday, March 24, 2010

inspired by morimoto

I don't normally blog about my food, but tonight's dinner was worth it and it involved an ingredient that I had never used before: Somen noodle soup base (which is apparently STRAIGHT)

You see, I didn't want to let the beautiful afternoon go by without me getting out in the sunshine, so I wandered to the asian food store. Knowing that I already had shrimp thawing and wasn't all that sure what I was going to make, I figured I'd use the trip to the market as inspiration for dinner. While wandering the aisles, I saw some ingredients I already had: baby bok choy, soba, and edemame. When I stumbled upon the noodle soup base, I knew that this plus the homemade chicken stock I already had would help me make a delicious soup.

I sauteed some mushrooms in garlic, then lightly sauteed the shrimp in some garlic and some hot sauce- knowing that they'd finish cooking in the soup. I combined the chicken stock, the somen, and a bit of water and brought it to a boil. In went the noodles, then once they had cooked most of the way through I added the edemame, then the baby bok choy, the mushrooms, the shrimp and then finally some green onions.

The result: delicious.  Obviously not as "moan-worthy" as my unforgettable soup from Morimoto (you have to scroll down quite a bit on that post before you get to the soup) but it wasn't all that bad. The shrimp ended up slightly overdone by the end (my first shrimp was perfectly cooked but the last one was a little too done) but the textures of the bok choy, edemame, and noodles were almost perfect.
Maybe I should have taken a picture...

What is your favourite "new" ingredient? Tried anything new lately that surprised you by being better than you thought it might be?

2 comments:

Marathon Maritza said...

Yum!! What type of 'soup' flavor is this though? Ramen-like? Soy sauce-y? I loooooove asian flavors so I'll probably try it no matter what you say, hahaha!

My favorite new sauce is Masala Simmer Sauce, which I bought at Trader Joe's. You can pretty much simmer ANY veggies in it and put them on top of rice for a DELICIOUS indian meal. Mmmmmm...

k said...

The ingredients are soy sauce, dashi, rice wine vinegar (i think) and a couple of other things. So it kind of tastes like a cross between gyoza dipping sauce and miso soup...if that makes any sense at all.

I have never been to a Trader Joe's...sigh. They don't have stores in Canada. I do love masala...