Wednesday, March 03, 2010

a confession of the running kind

I have a confession about running, and although it isn't tragic or terrible, it is something that might bite me in the ass someday. I don't run with ID. I don't run with a phone, I don't run with my license, I don't run with much of anything that would identify me if I was unable to speak for myself. The only think I usually have is my iPod which if you went into "contacts" would have my name and address...but even then, it is kind of hidden and I don't always run with it.

I know it isn't smart and I know that if I either got hit by a car or randomly went down on a run, it would be tough for emergency workers to ID me and to get in touch with the people who need to know where I am and what happened to me. I also know that it is easily remedied by carrying ID- but that is just one more step in getting myself out the door. I've been thinking about getting a RoadID for a couple of years now but haven't done it yet.

Since I'm feeling a little more serious about getting the RoadID, here's my question- would it be better to get one that has my emergency information on it very visibly (but that would need to be replaced whenever that information changed) or the one that is "flexible" and allows you to update the relevant information online BUT that emergency workers would need to call a number to access that information? (here's the link to the product comparison)

(and just so I don't sound as bad, Jordan doesn't run with ID either...and he runs on rural roads...I might have to get him a RoadID too)

6 comments:

Heather said...

I don't run with anything either.

Kirst said...

I'm with you guys too. I don't run with anything. Lately I've been running with my iphone only because I want to clock my distance. I guess that is better than nothing.

lu said...

a running room rule nazi gave me some unsolicited advice the other day that i should a) run with only one earphone in and b) turn my music down. it really irritated me because i have thought about these things and considered the risks and made my decision.

i don't run with id either. i probably should. but if i am running with my iphone, i wonder if there is an ap for that? if not, i bet there will be soon!

kris said...

I don't run

Reverend Joyleaf said...

There was a time in my life when I would never carry ID. Ever. Think about it. You're a kid. You leave the house. All you have is a few bucks to blow on candy bars and soda pop. Wandering the streets for hours on end with nothing on you to identify your dead rotting corpse.

OK. Seriously. I used to go to work without my wallet all the time. One day it dawned on me that if, during my bike commute, I was struck by a car or something nobody would be able to contact Lori etc. Same could apply during mail delivery. Now I carry my wallet at all times. In the summer if I'm just going for a bike ride and I don't want to take my whole wallet I at least take my driver's licence.

Marathon Maritza said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I think it's really important to run with ID and a phone if possible, especially for women. I actually don't have a road ID because it's permanently engraved and I've moved and things like that since I haven't bought a house yet. They sell shoe tag IDs at running stores that you just write in the info and it velcro's on your shoelaces like an ID. But when my info changes, I just go get a new one and put the new info on it. They are $1.

Hope this helps and happy (and safe!) running!