Friday, January 08, 2010

who doesn't love free stuff?

A couple of weeks before Christmas, I saw a tweet and facebook message from the fine people at LaraBar saying that all you had to do was leave a comment on their blog (you had an hour to do so), and they would send you some free bars. Free LaraBars? Sign me UP! So I left a comment and a couple of days later I got an email from them asking for my address so that they could send me some bars. I sent it back with the comment that I wasn't sure if the "contest" was open to Canadians (they often aren't) and I honestly expected never to hear from them again.

I have to admit, I did hold out some hope- when we journeyed into Whole Foods whilst in Philadelphia (yes, that's right, to me a tourist activity is to go to a grocery store) Jordan pointed out a multi pack of mini-larabars and suggested that I get them. I responded with "well, I think I'm getting some bars in the mail" but wondered if I would regret the decision. Lo and behold, earlier in the week, look what arrived in the mail:


So what flavours did I get? From left to right: Coconut Cream Pie, Lemon Bar, Cashew Cookie, Peanut Butter & Jelly. They are gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, kosher, and made from non genetically modified ingredients. Plus, they contain fruit and nuts- that's all. There are TWO ingredients in the Cashew Cookie bar: Cashews and Dates. The most "questionable" ingredient in any of the bars is "natural lemon flavour" in the lemon bar...they are just good eats. I've had the lemon bar before and it is pretty tasty. I've also had the key lime pie flavour (my very favourite), the cherry pie, and ginger snap (probably my least favourite of those I've tried).

My only complaint about LaraBar so far has been that I can't get the minis here in Canada. I'd love to be able to use the minis on long runs. I am trying to experiment with more "real food" during my long runs (GU works for me, but every so often it freaks my stomach out a little) and the mini bars seem like a good way to do it. What I'll do with these, however, is cut them up into pieces, bring part of it with me on my long run and then leave the rest at home to eat post-run.

I'll let you know how I like these new flavours (well, new to me anyway). And in the meantime, check out the new picture/link on my side bar. I'll be running the Covered Bridges Half Marathon as a part of Team Alzheimer's in June. Stay tuned for fundraising information and more about the race and why I'm running. I'm hoping to post that tomorrow :)

Have you tried LaraBar? What's your favourite flavour or what flavour would you love to try? (the cocoa mole looks interesting to me) And if you've tried their Jocalat bars- did you like them? I've been curious but haven't taken the plunge and bought one.

5 comments:

lu said...

i have seen those things often and even though i consider them my namesake (or is it that i am their namesake...?), i have yet to try one!

maybe i should write them a letter and ask for free bars because they were clearly named after me!

k said...

i actually think of you every time i eat one. not sure if that is a good or a bad thing :)

since (according to the website) the inspiration for larabar didn't happen until 2000, it was clearly named after you.

sideofsneakers said...

My favorite is the Key Lime flavor!

Lulu said...

I got hooked on these in Quebec City last summer... MEC sells a few flavours and I found a box at costco as well... Cashew Cookie is my fav so far.

Runner Leana said...

Free Lara bars? That's awesome! I love those things as well. I think the cherry pie is my fave.