Sunday, January 10, 2010

team alzheimer's: the fundraising begins

My first half-marathon was the 2008 Covered Bridges half marathon. Why? To be honest- I'm not really sure. I wanted to do a half-marathon and thought "I wonder if there are any in Vermont...I could go visit my family and run a half...why not?" I found this half, convinced my sister to run with me, and we started training. There is a little bit of a recap here, but here is how we looked at the end:

Exhausted- yes, yes we were.

At the race I noticed that there were fund raising teams and that one of them was Team Alzheimer's. One of the family members we were there to visit was my grandmother, who had Alzheimer's disease and was starting to go downhill faster than I thought she would. At the time, I kind of wished I had known about the team when I had signed up so that I could have raised some money.

Exactly a year later (the day of the 2009 race), my grandmother died. We all gathered to celebrate her life and as we drove to the cemetery for her burial, I started to recognize the road...the cemetery is just off the section of road that is part of the last mile or so of the Covered Bridges half marathon. It just felt too fitting and a plan started to form in my head.

In the next few months, I did a lot of emailing, some cheer leading, and some convincing and managed to convince not just a couple (I thought it might be me, Jordan, and Heather) but TWELVE people to sign up with Team Alzheimer's 2010. They are coming from all sorts of places and represent pretty much all parts of my extended family. I'm pretty exited about it.

So here is where YOU come in. We each need to raise at least $300 to be a part of the team. The funds go toward Alzheimer's programs in Vermont- programs right in the area where my grandmother lived, worked, raised her kids, and spent her last days. In the next couple of months, I'll try to tell you a little more about where the money goes and I'll fill you in on some of my training. Until then, here is how you can donate of you'd like to help.

The team has come up with levels of donation:
  • Buck a mile club- $13.10
  • Two bucks a mile club- $26.20
  • Super Supporter club- $50
  • Keep up the pace club- $75
  • Road race junkie club- $100
  • Ok, make me sweat club- $200
  • It's up to you club- $your choice
There are 2 ways to donate: either online or "in person".
Online donations can be made via PayPal. If you already have a PayPal account, log on and send your payment to Teamalzheimers@aol.com and select "services" as what you are paying for. In the messages section of your payment, please put my name (Kristen Moulton).
If you do NOT have a PayPal account, the steps are almost the same. Just go to the PayPal website, click the "send money" tab and then follow the same instructions as if you had an account. If you donate online, please email me to let me know you've done so. That way I can keep track of how much money I still need to raise.

If you would like to do an "in person" donation, please email me at k dot m o u l t o n at r o g e r s dot com. That way I can email you the donation form.

I need to raise at least $300 by April 15th! (and so does Jordan- you can donate to him too, but donate to me first ;-) Thank you in advance for your help whether it is by donating, tweeting this post, facebooking this post, emailing it to someone you know, or just your moral support.

Stay tuned for updates on fund raising, training, and just life in general. Thank you for reading and for your support!



No comments: