Sunday, January 17, 2010

GU Brew- a review

Yeah- sorry about that title, but I just had to do it.
Ok, down to business: GU Brew.
I got a couple of "sachets" (or, you know...packages) of GU Brew in my Christmas stocking and figured that this weekend was a good time to try it out. My stomach was a little off this morning before my long run so I figured "hey, perfect time to try something new...my stomach isn't sensitive to new sugary substances at all!" Ok, that's not what I was thinking. What really happened was that there was only a tiny bit of gatorade left (as in, not enough to fill what I needed to fill) and I figured now was as good of a time as any to try the new brew. It wasn't until later that I thought "hmm...my stomach is a little off...hopefully I don't regret this."
Right, back to what I thought of it. GU Brew- here's what it looks like:

I should have taken a picture of the back of the package for nutritional information, but I forgot so check out the website's nutritional information here. While this might not be a bonus for everyone, that little section at the very top of the package caught my eye as a good thing: 2x Sodium. As I have mentioned previously, I sweat a lot and I'm quite a salty sweater (I come back from a run in the middle of winter with salt on my face) so sodium is a good thing in my mind. Other than the extra sodium, the rest of the nutritional stats look pretty normal as far as sports drinks go.

So what about the taste? It kind or reminded me of Rockets (or smarties if you are from the states). This might sound like a bad thing, but compared to the super sweetness of most Gatorade flavours, I kind of enjoyed the tartness of this blueberry pomegranate concoction. I find that with Gatorade, once I take a sip of it, I have to rinse my mouth with water afterward to get the nasty sweet taste out of my mouth. And while this is probably a good thing for my teeth, it can be kind of annoying. With the GU Brew, I could tolerate the "aftertaste" a little better. It was kind of nice not to have to immediately rinse the taste out of my mouth. My only thought is that I have no idea if I'd like the flavour if it had been a little warmer. It is one thing when I'm running in the winter and my drinks are nice and cold...it is another when they are warm from running in the heat. I'm not sure this one would taste as good warm, but there are MANY months until that happens.

Most importantly- what about my belly? As I said, my tummy can be a little sensitive to sports drinks and as I also said before, my stomach was already a little off before I ran this morning so I wasn't sure what to expect. The verdict? My stomach was just fine! I had no issues with the GU brew today. Even combined with a GU gel (mmm..chocolate mint- I'm pretty excited that they'll be stocking this flavour year-round now) that I had partway through my run.

The Verdict? GU Brew gets a thumbs up from me. I'd consider getting a full tub of this. I also got a little package of the raspberry flavour, so I'll wait until I try that one before I decide on what flavour I'd buy (I might also have to try the orange...I tend to be a fan of orange drinks and if the orange has the tartness of the blueberry pomegranate, I think I'd really like it, but the orange doesn't have the bonus of the extra sodium), but my overall experience with this was positive.

Have you tried GU Brew? Did you like it? What's your favourite sports drink when you're out on a long run or ride?

2 comments:

kensdove said...

Hi~
I agree with your assessment of the GU brew. I had been using GU gel, sometimes mixed with water, and switched to GU chomps during this past winter-- [that's another review!] I just tried a packet of the orange GU brew for the first time this past weekend and I really liked the 'watered down' taste compared to the sugary sweet Gatorade type drinks... and I also had no tummy problems! My thirst was quenched, and I felt hydrated and energized through my long run- alternating with the brew and the GU chomps. It'll be a keeper through the warmer months ahead.

Anonymous said...

Wow I have never even heard of these products!