Monday, January 25, 2010

climate change- not ALL bad

This morning I awoke to an unfamiliar sound (well, unfamiliar for winter anyway): RAIN. It was raining and raining pretty hard. I wish I had thought to take pictures because the frightening sheen of water on ice on the sidewalks between here and work were enough for me to complain and for Jordan for him to offer to drive me to work before he had to leave.

It rained and rained and rained all day. It rained so heavily for most of the day that I was pretty sure that I'd be getting soaked when I ran this evening and I wondered if I'd have to stick to sidewalks that I knew would be clear of ice. But then, as I looked outside a half hour before I left work to go home, I saw sun! Sun and clear sidewalks! Then I checked the temperature and it was 8 degrees. EIGHT! as in almost ten! I couldn't believe it.

It almost felt like a celebratory run. I was wearing capri pants! Capri pants, no gloves, no hat...and of course, a GIANT smile:

(yes, that blue thing is a foam roller and yes, I wear that red shirt a LOT)
Sorry for the crappy picture. I was too excited to get out and run to worry about picture quality :)

Sure, my feet got a little wet from the puddles and there was an icy patch or two, but there was sun (well, for the first part anyway...then it set) and the sidewalks were clear and my goodness, I was only wearing ONE layer. It was such a far cry from a day such as the layers in a previous post that it almost felt like I was in another place. I'm sure the other people on the path (unless they were runners...because they understood) wondered what the heck I was up to- grinning from ear to ear like that.

So that made MY day and perhaps my week. Has anything made your day recently?

5 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Yeah for capris in January! I can't complain about Calgary as I got in two solid weeks of capri running already.

I do have the Yak Trax Pro. It does work on some icy surfaces, but some of the ice is like a big sheet with no where for the coil to grip.

k said...

Yeah, you kind of need "rough" ice for them to work.

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) said...

It was so much fun to break out shorts yesterday when it hit 60 in DC, but of course today it's back to freezing temperatures (which sends me running back to the gym!).

Ariana said...

Wow, that sounds wonderful - I must admit that I am a little bit jealous ;-)

Amber (Girl with the red hair) said...

Ooooh sounds like a lot of rain! I like running in the rain if it's a nice light sprinkle, but when it starts making the roads/sidewalks icy I'm NOT a fan!

I really need to get a foam roller. I don't want to though! Haha