Sunday, January 03, 2010

and i'm back

I quite enjoyed a break from most internet. Sure, I checked my email and facebook a few times, but I didn't blog, barely read blogs, thought "twitter? what's that" and just generally tuned out of internet life for a couple of weeks. The world didn't end, my computer still remembers me, and I quite enjoyed myself. Even if I had wanted to blog and tweet to my heart's content though, my time was pretty jam packed full of things to do and people to see. Some highlights:
  • A really easy airport trip and flight on the 17th. I didn't have to be there 3 hours early, I didn't end up getting randomly selected for the extra searching, there wasn't anyone sitting in the seat next to me (ok, so my seat didn't recline, but whatever), and it was warmer where I landed than where I took off.
  • Lunch with a good friend who is currently having a lovely trip. I'm glad we could meet up before she jetted off across the ocean!
  • Lots of running around, lots of christmas shopping.
  • Lots of here there and everywhere to try to see family and friends.
  • Watching kids sing at church (even managed to get a picture of one with his finger up his nose :)
  • Playing some rounds of Settlers of Catan and Frustration Rummy.
  • Visits with grandparents.
  • Runs in warm medium cold and very cold weather (at one point in my very cold run, I couldn't figure out what the weird thing was that I kept seeing out of the corner of my eye...it took me about 5 minutes to figure out that it was the icicle on my eyelashes...)
  • Seeing my sister's condo for the first time! And staying overnight too. Nice place!
  • Sushi with some lovely people.
  • Christmas with as many family and friends as could make it.
  • Bridesmaid dresses! For a good price! (and then an even better one when they went on sale and we could all get the price difference refunded)
  • Only one meltdown on my part (a little Christmas eve stress when photos weren't working out properly and I realized we were leaving in just a couple of days)
  • Mostly easy trip on the 26th (boxing day is a good time to fly apparently) although the freezing rain once we got to Ottawa was a little crazy. 
  • 12 hours at home before the next journey.
  • A highway accident that turned the turnpike view from the picture on the left, to the picture on the right:



  • The famous Rocky steps (yup, I ran up them in all the cheesy and predictable glory...it wasn't bad at all) in the middle of what was a really nice run- it was beautiful out and a great way to end a day that involved 8 hours in the car. (and yes, that red shirt is my favourite running shirt)

  • A lot of walking, trying to get jobs, a few lovely trips to the Reading Market, a scrapple breakfast sandwich (on Jordan's part...I opted for bacon and those Pennsylvania Amish sure do make great bacon), some great beer, more than a few lovely restaurants, and some good times.
  • A trip to Morimoto! (our starters were kind of iron chef like- my soup was served in a tea pot and Jordan's udon was served in a basket and he had to put together his sauce. that soup was the best soup i've ever had...and the sushi was fantastic, i took a couple of pictures, but the lighting wasn't good in the restaurant and i didn't want to use the flash. it is a beautiful restaurant with great food)

  • The Body Worlds exhibit (awesome...I highly recommend it if you have the chance to see it)
  • And a very easy drive home- without the highway accident and without the toll-booth mix up this time. We wished we had been able to go right through Scranton (of The Office fame) so that we could take a picture of the "Welcome to Scranton" sign, but it was a little too far out of the way.
  • And of course, the "LOVE" sign.


Ok, so that was a long highlight list, but we were really really busy. Once we got back to Ottawa, we pretty much crashed an haven't wanted to do much since. We've been sleeping late, staying home (which in the snow has been wise anyway) and trying recharge after all that travelling. I'm going back to work tomorrow and it will be a bit of a shock to get up early and to be back in the swing of things. Hopefully it goes well.

What did you all do on your Christmas vacation? Highlights? Lowlights?

2 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Sounds like a great holiday! Happy New Year!

lu said...

awww... just saw this, thanks!

so glad to hear your recap and that all the travelling went smoothly. i too am very glad we got to catch up while you were in the yyc!