Thursday, November 19, 2009

vegan for a day breakfast, lunch, snacks

It is vegan food blogging time and it has been a fairly easy day so far. It started with breakfast:

I'm a big fan of the "overnight oats" already, but normally I put cow's milk and some yogurt in with the oats, along with some spices and usually maple syrup. To make it vegan, I swapped out the cow's milk for Almond Milk (which was on sale YAY) and decided that a little pumpkin would help replace the creaminess of the yogurt. So, I put the oats, almond milk, and pumpkin in a mug (my oat dish of choice) and added cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom and a bit of maple syrup. I let it sit overnight and then in the morning stirred in some ground flax seed and a little crunchy cereal for some texture. It was really good- but I added too much cardamom.

On my way to work, I got a text from a co-worker asking if I wanted anything from Starbucks...I decided to embrace the challenge and go for a double tall soy latte:

Not my favourite. Firstly, I usually get skim milk, so the soy milk was a little too thick and I found that the soy milk taste masked the taste of the espresso. I don't think I'd get this again.

Then it was time for a snack. I checked my english muffins and they were indeed vegan- but did I remember to bring it to work? No. Luckily, I did have an apple and I have a jar of peanut butter in the fridge at work:

Delicious. Not all that photogenic mind you, but definitely delicious.

Since I had a fitness class at lunch time, I knew I'd need a little something before I hit the gym. What to have? Angela's Glo Bars to the rescue:

The bars are vegan, organic and DELICIOUS. I ate half of one before my 12:00 class. The class was really intense, so I was a little worried about what I brought for lunch. Even when I was packing the lunch, I was a little concerned:

The plan was to have a couple of rice cakes topped with avocado and salsa, some (not pictured) Ryvita crackers with any remaining avocado and some salsa, some veggies, fruit and I knew I had some Mary's crackers there as well. I ate what I packed, a couple of Mary's crackers and I also had the other half of the Glo Bar. I was pleasantly surprised by how satisfied I felt. Normally I would have added cheese to the meal...and I only sort of missed it.

The plan for dinner involves the following ingredients (among others):


Stay tuned for what I do with them :)

Want more information about vegan week and the vegan for a day challenge? Go here or here.

2 comments:

kris said...

Do you grind the flax seeds? I read that they should be ground or else they just pass right through you - even if you try to chew them very well.

k said...

yup, i buy it ground and keep it airtight in the fridge. it definitely doesn't last as long (shelf life), but it means not having to chew it a zillion times (which is impossible- those seeds are so little!)