Tuesday, October 27, 2009

i do love bullet points

I've been neglectful- I know, and you know that neglectful blogging always leads to what? Bullet points! Yaaaaay!
  • I'm currently listening to the crazy raccoon-feeding neighbour talking to cats outside my window. I bet he's feeding the random neighbourhood cats that aren't his own. He feeds his own cats too, but considering we've nicknamed one of his cats "Fat Cat", his do just fine. As do the neighbourhood cats since he seems to feed them all. Because of that, they seem to think I'll feed them too. In fact, "Loud Cat" (not his cat) got all, well, loud at me yesterday when I was doing laundry. I responded with "I'm not the one that feeds you." On my next trip to the laundry room, there was Loud Cat eating a bowl of food. I guess the neighbour heard me. (or Loud Cat I guess...she is pretty loud)
  • I know I've been here 4 years now, but there are still some "Ontario terms" that surprise me every so often. Maybe it is an Ottawa thing, but I've heard Mac's stores referred to as "Mac's Milk" several times in the last year...by several different people of at least two different generations. The first time, I was told to meet my bus strike carpool ride at the "Mac's Milk", then most recently, we were getting directions over the weekend and were told to turn left at the "Mac's Milk". I don't think I ever heard it called that out west...but maybe I was just hanging with the wrong crowd.
  • Paul Haggis has quit Scientology. Now, I had no idea he was a scientologist...but apparently his disgust with the "religion" is two-fold. One, they wanted his wife to cut off contact with her parents. Two, "the Church" promised to denounce one of its branches that spoke out in support of Proposition 8 in California...and then never did. In his letter, he apparently wrote "The church's refusal to denounce the actions of these bigots, hypocrites and homophobes is cowardly. I can think of no other word. Silence is consent, Tommy [Davis, head of the Church of Scientology]. I refuse to consent ... I hereby resign my membership in the Church of Scientology." And so he quit. Well done Paul. I do love a feisty Canadian. I also wonder if the other scientologists will now refuse to work on his movies.
  • And speaking of feisty Canadians, apparently Stephen Harper is now one of them. We're no longer welcome in Libya after Harper condemned Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi for giving a "hero's welcome" to a convicted bomber.  You may be the dorky kid on the block, but way to take a stand. (yes, that's right, I just said something nice about Stephen Harper...enjoy it while you can Randy, it probably won't happen again :)
  • Apparently Iceland will no longer have any McDonald's restaurants as of next week. I have to be honest- I don't think Iceland will be any worse off for it. I wonder if they would have been able to stay open if they were able to use local products...I'm guessing yes.
  • Speaking of local products, I've been researching the availability of community supported agriculture  (or "a CSA box") here in Ottawa. I have to do some more digging- but does anyone out there have experience with this? Do you get local produce delivered or pick it up at an arranged drop off spot? If so, do you like it? If not- would you ever consider it? What do you think your highest "price point" for this would be? I think it is a very interesting concept and I like the idea of buying local, but I would like to hear about it from people who have actually used a service.
And that's my bullet point update.

2 comments:

Reverend Joyleaf said...

Apparently it used to be called Mac's Milk. Name was changed in 1975.

Lulu said...

Almost everyone here in my part of Ontario calls it Mac's Milk as well... totally screwed me up when I got here!