Sunday, September 13, 2009

a good sunday morning

Sure I got up at the crack of dawn...but after a breakfast of overnight oats (with cinnamon, raspberries and brown sugar- delicious) and water, we were out the door at 7 and off running. Running that early is really quite peaceful. Even along a major road, there weren't really any cars, then when we got to the path, the river was quiet, the path was quiet...very peaceful. The only things that weren't quiet were the mosquitos and Jordan's stomach.

For once it wasn't my stomach. For most of the summer, I've been struggling with what I can and can't eat before a run. The "stomach sloshes" have been terrible (to the point where my friend asked me what that weird sound was...you could hear it AND even feel the weirdness in my stomach if you put your hand over it) and it has caused me much cramping and annoyance. But they seem to have gotten better just in time for my last few weeks of training. Today was the last long run before the race and it was quite nice. For the record- oats are good, bananas with almond butter are also good. Kashi Go-Lean Crunch with strawberries? Not good.

And why were we up at the crack of dawn you ask? Well, to hit up a free yoga class at lululemon! One of my favourite teachers was doing a class and since she no longer teaches where I work, I thought it would be nice to do one of her classes again. Very well worth it. So if you are ever in the Ottawa-Gatineau area and see a class with Becky Picher, go for it- she's a great teacher.

A long run (well, long-ish) and yoga all before 10am- a lovely Sunday morning! Can't wait to see what the rest of the day brings.

(And to Heather, Matt, and my mum- I hope today is fun! Run your heart out and keep a smile on your face: you'll be doing a race in one of my favourite places in the world so enjoy the scenery!!!)
-------
Update: They all KILLED the race! The beautiful mountain scenery and air (and my jealousy of where they were) must have motivated the crap out of them because they all had great races! Go over and congratulate Heather on her great race!

3 comments:

Heather said...

That sounds like a perfect sunday!

I still can't believe our results!! We all PR'd by a LOT!! Wahoo!

k said...

Unless you've done a secret 10K that I don't know about, isn't that like a 9 minute PR for you???

Heather said...

yep... nuts I tell ya!

Kait got a 15 minute (or so) PR, and Jordan beat his time by about 8 or 9 minutes I think. And Matt just beat Kaitlin, which was important to him, and also my first 10k race, which he was happy about too. He just wants to beat people really.