Thursday, July 23, 2009

forgive my silence

You'll have to forgive my silence. We're in the process of packing up to move so not only am I busy doing things other than sitting in front of the computer, but I'm not feeling very creative either. But, just for fun, here are a few things I will NOT miss about this apartment:

-The smell of the building. You walk into the building and are greeted with a really unfortunate odour. Cigarettes, old carpet, mustiness...I don't even know what other words to use. It stinks

-The chain smoking downstairs neighbours. They are the farthest apartment from us, yet we can smell them almost all the time. It has gotten better since we put some weather stripping in, but for a long time, it often smelled like someone was smoking in our living room. I got into someone's car a couple of winters ago and she said "were you somewhere where people were smoking?" Nope, it is just what my closet smells like... And I kind of feel like I'm going to get cancer every time I go downstairs to do laundry.

-The noise. We live half a block from a major trucking route that shouldn't be one. The trucks shake the apartment sometimes. They use their "loud" breaks instead of the quiet ones. This same trucking route is also a route that attracts just plain old loud people in the middle of the night.

-The drugs. Pretty much every week we see someone having a bad trip, Jordan has seen someone injecting things into their toes, there are drug deals everywhere. When we got home from being out two weekends ago, there was a guy asleep on the sidewalk right in front of the building (well, at first we weren't sure if he was asleep or passed out or dead, but we woke him up to find out)

-The colour. It is an off-white version of blue. It is terrible.

There will be things I'll miss, but I'll save that for another day. Until then, sorry for my lack of creativity...trying to get organized, work, run, and still have fun since it is summer is taking as much energy as I can muster.

2 comments:

Runner Leana said...

Good luck with the move! Those are things I wouldn't miss either...

lu said...

i am even happy you are moving when you describe it like that.

but i know how stressful moving can be, so here is wishing a seamless and challenge-free move this weekend!