Wednesday, May 20, 2009

attack of the killer ion

There are a few buses around Ottawa that drive around with the following message printed on them: Sodium kills 30 Canadians every day! (and then it directs you to the Sodium 101 website to 'get the facts')

I have to say- I don't believe them for a second. While I do know that taking pure sodium and putting it into water creates quite a reaction (skip to about the 39 second mark), I'm really not so sure that there are 30 lab accidents involving sodium a day. If that was the case, I'm pretty sure we'd be hearing about it. Sorry "sodium 101.ca", I don't buy your propaganda.

Sodium doesn't kill people, hypertension kills people. (and I suppose to go even further, it isn't the hypertension that kills people but rather the nasty side effects of the hypertension)

No comments: