Wednesday, March 25, 2009

lists

My love of lists means that when something like the "Top 100 Baby names in Canada" comes out, I must take a look at it. It isn't a very well edited list (Cole is both number 52 AND 53 on the list of boys names), but here are a few things that struck me about it.

Girls:
Number 35 was "Noemie" and Number 43 was "Oceane". These two names that I have never heard were way ahead of number 70- Ashley (and all the various spellings of it). Also beating Ashley were Florence (#28), Maelie (#57), and Charlie (#60). Who knew? Also, I had no idea that Emy (#44) was a name.

Boys:
I know of people who in the last 5 years have used 6 of the top 10 names. Felix is number 32. This must be a popular francophone name, because I've not really heard it used much. Number 61 is "Loic". I'm not even sure how to pronounce that one. Numbers 67 and 68 are "Victor" and "Hugo" (how geeky am I that that amuses me?)

Both:
One of the only names that appears on both lists is Jordan- #74 for girls (although there are many spellings) and #96 for boys. On the boys side, the top ten seem to be "classics"- names that have been around for a long time (most of them biblical). The top ten girls names are a little more varied, although it seems that for them, old is new as well (with the biggest exception being Madison)

So there you have it. A post about my strange fascination with lists. I still kind of wonder if the numbers for Victor and Hugo got fudged a little so that they would be back to back like that.

4 comments:

kris said...

No Britney? Those lists are kinda surprising actually. Especially the girl list.

S said...

I love the Victor Hugo coincidence.

I can't decide whether I like that my name is usually near the top of lists like this or not. On the one hand, I love my name and like that other people like it, too. But it does get a tad annoying how many of us there are.

Kirst said...

I too, like to look at those lists and especially look for my kids names on them.

k said...

Maybe Britney was associated a little too closely with psychotic behaviour in 2007 and 2008...