Tuesday, March 17, 2009

dude. not cool.

As many of you may have already read/heard, the Pope is visiting Africa and says that condoms are NOT the answer to the HIV/AIDS crisis that is decimating the continent. (Seriously decimating- it is estimated that 22 million people in sub-Saharan Africa are infected with the disease. That is the majority of the population of Canada)

Now, I am someone who sometimes likes to make random suggestions and talk out of my ass about things that I don't really know a lot about. I don't always do this, but sometimes I do. So take this with a grain of salt...but I really don't understand why a chaste man should be making such statements about something which he knows so little about. Ok, so he's preaching abstinence, which clearly he knows a thing or two about, but if George Bush and Sarah Palin have taught us anything, it is that people are going to have sex. Especially when people tell them not to.

While I don't think that condoms are the (or the only) answer to the crisis, I really don't understand why it would be a good idea to speak out against something that offers at least some protection.

And I just find the guy to be really creepy: eek!

5 comments:

lu said...

great links - i had never seen such creepy pictures before. someone should slap an illfitting vest on him and he would be THE creepiest leader in the world.

and you make a really good point. how does someone who chose a life of abstinence have a clue about what would work for regular, non celibate people??

grrrrrrrrr...........

kris said...

I would consider the Pope a scholar of the human condition, and like any scholar he does not need personal experience with his field of study to be knowledgeable.

Unfortunately, the human condition he is knowledgeable about is that of a European circa 1400 and doesn't translate well into modern times, imo.

k said...

agreed kris.
(and at least he looks the part)

Kirst said...

Indeed creepy.

Steve Maggio said...

I found this post on Google and I couldn't agree more! What is the pope doing telling people not to have sex? Doesn't he know cigarette companies spend hundreds of millions of dollars telling kids "Not to Smoke". They have made a killing off it cause reverse psychology works! I hope the Pope and the Catholic Church can find a more compelling campaign.