Sunday, February 01, 2009

greener chocolate?

According to these two stories, for $13, you can get a high end chocolate bar AND save the planet. For every chocolate you buy, a tree is planted in the rain forest from which the bar's ingredients came. In fact, it looks like you can go to the Original Beans website, punch in the number of your chocolate bar, and it will tell you where (and maybe even what kind) the tree was planted.

My brain is having trouble with this. You see, I love chocolate. Especially really good dark chocolate (which this stuff looks to be). So far, I've looked a the higher end bars (and when I say that I mean that so far I've seen $9 chocolate bars) and have done only that: look. I can't really justify spending more than $5 on a chocolate bar. Even if I do enjoy every last crumb. But this one ALSO plants trees. And one of my goals this year is to be greener.

Who am I kidding. I'm not buying a $13 chocolate bar. I don't make a tonne of money and my husband is a grad student. I can barely justify buying the chocolate I already do buy.

Regardless, it is an interesting product, an interesting company, and a really pretty logo design.

No comments: