Tuesday, February 03, 2009

confession

I have a confession to make: just like my sister, I too have morphed into a teenage girl over the Twilight series.

I didn't want to do it, I swear. But one thing lead to another and all of a sudden I've read the first three books in the last three weeks (ok, two and a half weeks...and the third book took me less than two days) and I'm wondering when I'll get the fourth (likely tomorrow or the next day...from my "dealer" at work). I now want to see the movie and am wondering how on earth I can find people born in 1992 and 1986 suddenly attractive just because they play characters in a movie (although I did find out that Robert Pattison also played Cedric Diggory in the Harry Potter movies-and I did always like Cedric. and YES, I do think his hair is terrible). I've imdb'd it and have already determined that Elizabeth Reaser is all wrong for the character of Esme and...and...it is terrible. Terrible. And they aren't even really well written.

I should have expected it really. I tore my way through the Anne Rice vampire chronicles back before people associated Kirsten Dunst with strange drunk pictures and the go fug yourself girls (it is really too bad that Tom Cruise had to go and ruin the character of Lestat for so many) and I even wrote a few mini-stories about vampires in high school (I wonder where those are...if this Twilight chick can start with a dream about two people in the forest and 6 months later end up with a lucrative publishing contract, who knows where my likely plagarized stories could bring me?)

So, now that it is off my chest, I feel a little better. I admit it: I love the escapist fiction that is the story of Edward, Bella, Jacob and all the rest. It isn't prize-winning literature, but the 13 year old girl in me has never been happier. Now- let us never speak of this again.

(seriously though...how on earth do i like an entire series of books in which the main character irritates the crap out of me?)

3 comments:

liz said...

1) I am increasingly tempted to read these books after hearing so many people get so excited about them!
2) Love Cedric Diggory. Love him.

Heather said...

I knew it was Cedric going in, but I actually didn't like him that much in the harry potter movies because he was too pretty, so I wasn't sure what I would think of him in this. Turns out I love him. LOVE HIM. I even gasped when he made his entrance into the movie. Yep, with all the 13 year olds in the theatre. I LIKE his gross hair. So THERE!

k said...

in the movie (which i haven't seen) the hair might work (because well, I have seen some still shots from the movie and it looks good). but i saw him on ellen and in real life, the hair was out of CONTROL. too much. too much i tell you.

have you heard his songs on the soundtrack? not what i expected, but good.