Saturday, November 01, 2008

Omnivore's 100

I came across this awhile ago and thought it was kind of fun. You see, I quite enjoy food, so it just seems like a perfect match.

Plus, I know a couple of people that could use some distraction.

So, here's what I did:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at www.verygoodtaste.co.uk linking to your results.


(Ok, so with the font format I use on my blog, all links are bolded, so for the purpose of the hyperlinked text if the word is in italics I have NOT eaten it and if it is just bolded and hyperlinked, i have)

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
(in fact, I've had venison tartare. delicious)
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos Rancheros
4. Steak tartare
(though I'd like to try it again, i'm not sure i had the best one out there)
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
(I guess I'd try it)
7. Cheese fondue
(mmmm....melted cheese)
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
(how can you go wrong with something that tastes mostly like garlic?)
11. Calamari
(and i especially love the tentacley bits)
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
(on of the only times I think white bread is best)
14. Aloo gobi
(I just had this for the first time at a Diwali celebration. delicious!)
15. Hot dog from a street cart
(i do love the street meat)
16. Epoisses
(as it is unpasteurized, i probably haven't had it, but it is possible i have)
17. Black truffle
(I don't think I have, but I have had something with truffle oil...does that count?)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes
(not a fan quite yet)
19. Steamed pork buns
20. Pistachio ice cream
(something I could easily try...but I've never really felt the urge)
21. Heirloom tomatoes
(i wish all tomatoes were that good)
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn, or head cheese
(I have no desire whatsoever to try this. that being said, i don't want to say i'd never eat it)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper
27. Dulce de leche
(not a huge fan)
28. Oysters
(love, love, love raw oysters. they taste like the sea)
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
(this looks delicious)
31. Wasabi peas
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl
(I don't think i have...mostly because I find most clam chowders to be gross looking even though I like the idea of clam chowder)
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float
(i haven't had an entire one- mostly because i don't like root beer)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O
(I'm guessing they mean a Jell-O shot)
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects
(this might be where I draw the line, but i guess if it was a small insect? I hate to say i would absolutely not try it, but I won't seek it out.)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
(I've had goat's milk cheese...)
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
(fugu seems overrated to me)
47. Chicken tikka masala
(i do love indian food)
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
(you know...i don't think i have had a krispy kreme. if i have, it wasn't hot and fresh, so i don't count it)
50. Sea urchin
(yuck. not a fan)
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
(one of the first times i had this, i thought it was either chicken or tofu when i was taking it...so i took a little too much)
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
(I've never had a Big Mac...)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
(I'm not sure why I haven't had one. It really does appeal to me. Maybe I should make one tonight. I have gin, I have olives...although I think it would be a waste to buy vermouth)
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
(Does it make me a bad Canadian that I've never had poutine? Maybe I'll start with the poutine at Au Pied de Cochon)
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads
(this doesn't appeal to me, but i'd try it)
63. Kaolin
(this link doesn't help at all, i still can't figure out what this is. is it suggesting I eat clay to help me get pregnant? if so, consider this a strikethrough)
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs
(as cliche as it sounds, they did taste a lot like chicken wings)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
(i would think that Beaver Tails would also fit into this category)
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
(this sounds nasty)
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
(the only way i would eat roadkill is if i was starving. in some sort of emergency and it was the only thing that i could eat or i would die...i might consider road kill)
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
(in garlic, in mushroom caps, in puff pastry...i don't care...delicious!)
79. Lapsang souchong
(i have no idea if i've had this)
80. Bellini
81. Tom yum
(looks delicious)
82. Eggs Benedict
(not a big fan of hollandaise, so this is definitely not my preferred way to eat eggs)
83. Pocky
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant
(one day my friends...one day)
85. Kobe beef
(at least i'm pretty sure i've had real kobe beef in japan. regardless, i've had U of C kobe beef...and that COULD be beef)
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
(this kind of gives me the creeps. but at the same time, there is a possibility i've tried it without knowing)
90. Criollo chocolate
(apparently this is some sort of special chocolate...I'd eat it, maybe I'll find it some day)
91. Spam
(and i'm ok if i never have it again)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
(mmmmmm)
97. Lobster Thermidor
(i really like lobster...so it almost seems sacrilegious to mix it with cream and cheese and risk losing that delicious lobster flavour)
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
(i don't think i've had it anyway)
100. Snake

So, there you have it, my omnivore's 100. I guess I still have some eating to do but there really aren't many things on this list I wouldn't try. I can tell you for sure one thing I will never try: Balut. I don't think I could even put a bit if it in my mouth to be polite.


4 comments:

Devo said...

I agree about the Balut. I've been offered by some Phillipino friends and I was somewhat grossed out just watching them eat it. Good list, I think I'll put it on my blog.

lu said...

that balut is horrible considering i already have minor issues with eating eggs if they have spots or anything in the yolk.

i hope you made a dirty martini tonight, they are surprisingly delicious!

Heather said...

I like food. It saddens me to think that there are so many things I will never be able to try!

K said...

There are a LOT of things on that list that you can try h-mo! And there are a lot of things you can still try as long as you know what is in them.

And still no dirty martini yet. I have a feeling it will be love at first sip...that could get dangerous.